Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Fridge Model GSS25SGMC BS - Defrost Issue  (Read 151 times)

Offline Manaiac4thepack

• VIP Member
GE Fridge Model GSS25SGMC BS - Defrost Issue
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:49:23 PM »

Ok...first problem was coils freezing over. I found the thermostat attached to the coils damaged. The black plastic cap was physically separated from the silver casing. Though this was my smoking gun and replaced it.  Saw the heater running the next day and thought all was well. Then 3 weeks later the same thing. So then I replaced both the heater and the thermistor that is next to the thermostat attached to the coils. Now the defrost cycle lasts too long and the ice melts and re freezes all together. There is another thermistor in the bottom of the freezer...but Iím not sure what that does. Obviously something has changed because now I have a new problem. Any thoughts?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: GE Fridge Model GSS25SGMC BS - Defrost Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
The thermistor at the bottom left of the freezer controls the freezer temperature. There is an identical thermistor located on the evaporator coil at the top. Change that.

Offline Manaiac4thepack

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
So check this out. I bought cheap aftermarket parts for my repair. I read the reviews for those parts on Amazon and a guy who bought the dam kit I got had this same problem. I looked last night and on the back wall of the fridge near the heater there are burn marks. I also put a temp sensor with an app to my iPhone in the freezer. It heats up to 75 over an hour during the defrost cycle and then cools down. I think the cheap ass heater is just fucking mega powerful. But I am going to replace all the cheap parts I installed with OEM parts. I replaced the thermostat...the heater...and the temp sensor on the evaporator coil. If that does t fix the problem Iíll replace the temp sensor in the lower left. I did remove the cheap temp sensor and stick it in a cup of ice water and put a ohm meter on it. The ohms came out in line with the schematic I found in the fridge for both room temp and appx 32 degrees.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
On the temperature sensor was the end where the wires come out dark grey or black epoxy? If so you might want to replace the other two (bottom of freezer and the one in the fridge). The grey ones tend to lose their seal, get wet, and lose accuracy.