Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag ice maker not getting 120v, next steps?  (Read 120 times)

Offline undertow

• VIP Member
Maytag ice maker not getting 120v, next steps?
« on: July 22, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »

Hi gang,
My Maytag MFI2569VEW2 bottom-freezer french-door refrigerator's ice maker has croaked.  Followed all troubleshooting advice (except, of course, the first step!) and no joy..

Then I tested for 120v at the ice maker (across L-to-V):  barely get a little over 1v, aha!

So, what are the next steps?  I do not believe this through-door ice maker has a photo sensor, I see no LED's flashing etc., but I could absolutely be mistaken.

1) Assuming no photo sensor, are there pins I can test on the wiring harness to see if 120v is getting that far?
2) Any in-line fuses or anything I can inspect?
3) Is this likely a main control board problem?  Every other function of the refrigerator works great.

Thanks, all!

Offline undertow

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag ice maker not getting 120v, next steps?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
^^Sorry, I measured for 120v across (L-to-N).  Conducted the test correctly, just typed it wrong)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
I can almost guarantee you that the ice maker is bad. Pull the ice maker out take the cover off and remove the front three screws pull the cover off and verify that one of your female module head connectors are burnt off. I replace these things all the time. Whirlpool made. Now that's provided that it's an all black head underneath the cover. If it's a gray head and the rest black that's the newer style and that probably won't be the problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:52:34 PM by haroldsappliance »

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
Remove the Old Ice maker and make sure your getting 120V on the back molex connector. I have received multiple new ice makers (Universal) where the wiring diagram is not the same Orientation of the Old. Just a little heads up! My buddy ordered many off of Ebay and returned everyone says they did not work until he asked me to come look at it and the Hot Wires were Oriented the wrong way!! FYI