Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire GLER341AS2 Loud Noise After Heating Up  (Read 133 times)

Offline Tommy Sips

• VIP Member
Frigidaire GLER341AS2 Loud Noise After Heating Up
« on: July 22, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »

I'm not a repairman, just a DIYer. My mother-in-law was complaining about her dryer getting extremely hot, and it making a loud noise after running a few minutes. I initially searched for issues regarding overheating, and replaced the high limit thermostat, cycling thermostat, and the thermal limiter, as a parts site said those were the likely cause. Closed everything back up, but the problem didn't go away.

Ended up searching for the dryer making noise after heating up, and found a topic posted here's few years ago, and a YouTube video of someone dealing with the same problem on a Frigidaire. Those searches identified the blower wheel as the issue.

So, I bought a new housing and wheel. Looked at a few repair videos and it seemed like an easy fix. "Seemed." The blower wheel would not thread off and the socket ended up rounding over the  ⅞ plastic nut molded on the wheel. I was going to give up, but ended up using a rotozip to cut the wheel around the hub to get the housing and wheel out, to have better access the the hub threaded on the motor shaft. That was a success, and all that was left to do was remove the hub from the shaft. I could not get it to break free. Went back home and got my plumber's torch. Heated the aluminum hub up for a bit, and FINALLY, I got that thing off there.

Installed the new blower wheel and housing. Buttoned up the case. Turned it on. FIXED!  What should have been a 30 minute repair, ended up taking several days, along with a bunch of frustration. However, I saved my mother-in-law a repair bill, and hopefully avoided adding to the landfill for a few more years.

Obviously, I don't have a problem with the dryer, but just wanted to post in case anyone else is dealing with the same problem.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire GLER341AS2 Loud Noise After Heating Up
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:59:17 AM »
That a Boy Tommy - True technician!! Never give up GREAT JOB!!

Offline Tommy Sips

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire GLER341AS2 Loud Noise After Heating Up
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 11:26:50 AM »
That a Boy Tommy - True technician!! Never give up GREAT JOB!!

My only curiosity has to do with the dryer seeming to get very hot to begin with, and leading me astray initially. Here are my thoughts: I assume the blower wheel helps exhaust the hot air from the drum, as well as move the hot air in the drum. Is it likely when the wheel heated up it no longer was turning efficiently, causing both the loud noise, and not pushing air out the exhaust, making it hotter than normal in the drum? That's the only reason I can imagine my mother-in-law saying the clothes got terribly hot when the issue began.

Without experience, I'm not sure why the blower wheel would have been suspected, as visually, it looked fine, and seemed to spin freely. Thankfully, for sites like these I can learn from all of your experiences.