Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: flame goes out on small burner  (Read 219 times)

Offline m1964

• VIP Member
flame goes out on small burner
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »

Hi all,
I have searched the web but was unable to find the solution to my specific problem so I decided to post my problem here.

Sorry for the long post- hopefully some one here can help me.

The range is Whirlpool, about 8 years old.

A few days ago, the small burner started being stuck while I was adjusting the flame.
Since I have cleaned the valves before (a few years ago), I knew what to do (I thought I knew…)
I removed the stovetop, control/valve cover panel and disassembled the valve-removed valve stem and valve core.
Cleaned everything up, did not see anything bad. Then I could not find the valve grease in my slightly disorganized garage. I was in a rush to fix the range because my wife was coming home after work, so I used anti-seize grease to lubricate the valve.

Put everything back - the valve was turning fine, but when going to the lowest setting at the end of the turn, the flame would go out. I tried adjusting the screw inside the valve but it was no go.

Next day, I found the graphite valve grease. I disassembled the range again, cleaned all the valves and loosened the screws inside the valve cores. I then lubricated everything using the graphite valve grease.

Now the three bigger burners function just fine, but the small burner still has the same problem.

If I go from the max flame to the minimum quickly, the flame would go out, but only when I do it the first time.
If I re-light the burner again, I can reduce the flame to min. quickly and it stays on. It also stays on if I reduce it slowly.
I was able to adjust the flame up to the point where it does not go out regardless of how quickly I am reducing it, but the flame is higher than it was before my "repair", and it's not at the "simmering" level anymore.

I also noted that when I turn the knob towards the minimum last 15-20 degrees, the flame does not change.
Is there anything else I can look into?
The slots in the burner are clean and I cleaned the jet.

I am totally lost here- I like to get the range to function the way it should.

Thanks a lot.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: flame goes out on small burner
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
Does the flame size change on the small burner if you turn the big burner on and off?

If it does, you have a bad regulator on the stove, or (much less likely) at your home's gas meter.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:39:54 AM by tcarmen »

Offline m1964

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:21:09 AM »
Hi tcarmen,

Thanks a lot for replying to my post.

If I set the little burner to minimum, and then on the largest burner go between high and low rapidly, I can see slight change in the flame on the little one-when the big one is at high, the flame on the little one goes down, but very slightly.
The change is visible only if I look for it.

Is there a way to diagnose the pressure regulator without special equipment?

Thanks

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »
> Is there a way to diagnose the pressure regulator without special equipment?

Not really, aside from watching the flame size change.

If the small burner goes out when the big burners are started, the regulator is bad.

If you can't actually set simmer on the small burner, the simmer bypass in the valve is clogged and you'll need to disassemble it and clean it out and re-lube it and make sure that nothing including the simmer adjustment screw is clogged.

Offline m1964

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
Ah, OK- thanks lot, I will clean it up once more tomorrow.

Is it possible to remove the adjustment screw from the valve core?

Last time I used a piece of fabric to clean the valve core.

What is the best way to clean the valve core- wipe it with a piece of cloth, soak in  alcohol or acetone?

thank you

Offline m1964

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
> ...If you can't actually set simmer on the small burner, the simmer bypass in the valve is clogged and you'll need to disassemble it and clean it out and re-lube it and make sure that nothing including the simmer adjustment screw is clogged.

tcarmen,

THANKS A LOT- the burner works fine now- thanks to your advice to clean the screw.

So, when I accessed the valve I immediately noticed that the valve stem (the thing that turns the core) was slightly loose.
Apparently I did not tighten the two small screws down all the way. Since everything was opened already, I checked other valves (they were fine), and removed the valve core. I removed the adjusting screw and cleaned everything once more- inside the valve body, the core and the little hole in the core.
I think that the loose valve was the cause of the problem.

Thanks  again

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
Happy to help!