Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Out of solutions with a Whirlpool!  (Read 332 times)

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
Out of solutions with a Whirlpool!
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »

Hello,

I have a side by side Whirlpool Gold GC5SHAXVY01 (from 2010)
It stopped making ice about 2 weeks ago. I want to try to do what I can before buying a new one...

Here are some comments and what I have tried/checked:
- The water dispenser works perfectly
- I have a home filter, I changed the filter in case it was decreasing the pressure.
- Incoming pressure from the city to the house is 46 psi. I think no issue relate to pressure
- i unplugged/plugged the fridge to reset it
- I use the air dryer to see if anything needed to be thawed. There is no frozen line
- I removed the ice tray, melted, dry & cleaned everything
- I replaced the inlet valve with a new one
- Door sensor works well and On position
- Photos attached

Not sure what else to do. Would love be repair myself and avoid paying a few hundreds to repair. As it is 10 years of of, repair is not worth it.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Out of solutions with a Whirlpool!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
What is the freezer temperature?  Check it with a thermometer that will show below 0 Fahrenheit.  I can't find the controls on the parts breakdown, where are they?  If the freezer is below 10 degrees, and you manually fill the ice mold, it should cycle after the door has been closed for an hour or so.  Let me know.

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
After the whole day, ice cubes have not ejected.
So in short the water does not reach the tray and even if it would, ice would still not be eject. Does this mean I need to replace the entire ice maker or just the entire fridge that is 10 years old ($1500 vs $150).

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
Seems that my earlier post did not show yet as i put images and they are probably waiting for moderation. I was saying temperature was a 0, per recommended setting. Also. I manually put water in the ice cube tray and it iced up but after 4 hours they were still in the tray, so not being ejected.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »
Water freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit, but the icemaker needs to get below about 14 degrees to cycle.  That is why you have to check the freezer temp. with a thermometer.  What is the actual temp. in the freezer? 

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
The free
Water freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit, but the icemaker needs to get below about 14 degrees to cycle.  That is why you have to check the freezer temp. with a thermometer.  What is the actual temp. in the freezer? 

Freezer is at 0.
When I manually pour water in the ice tray , it froze so temperature is good. It seems that:
- Water is not coming to the tray even though i just replaced the water inlet valve (Problem #1)
- Ice cubes are not ejected. (Problem#2)

Should i repair or change the fridge all together?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
Problem #1  Water will not come into i/m tray until i/m cycles.
Problem #2  You say freezer is at 0.  Is it at 0 on the freezer control, or have you actually put an old fashioned thermometer in the freezer and left it closed long enough to get an accurate reading.  If you are going by what the control is telling you, the freezer could very well be at 24 degrees - will freeze water, but will never cycle or fill.
Have you checked the freezer with a thermometer?  If so, what was the temperature?  So far you've told me you checked it by freezing water, not that you've used a thermometer; that's what you need to do.  Let me know!

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
Know I understand what you mean. So although the freezer temperature in the panel said 0, when I measured it was actually 10F. I changed the temperature in the panel to the lowest (-6F) and real temperature actually went down to 0.
The coils and fan are all cleaned. Thanks

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
What you seem left with is:
   1 - a possible ice blockage in the black rubber elbow in the top of the freezer, you can disconnect the line at the back of the refrigerator and should be able blow through the line with no restriction.
   2 - a failure in the ice bucket optics system (red led emitter and receiver) on either side of the freezer liner by ice bucket.  Part # W10757851
   3 - a failed icemaker. Part # WPW10272869

You can check the optics system with the instructions in the tech sheet if you have it, or let me know and I'll try to find it for you.  Right now I can't seem to locate it.
If the fill tube is clear all the way from the valve to the icemaker, the only other cause would be a failure in the icemaker, most likely the motor module or thermostat.  Given the age of the refrigerator, I'd replace the icemaker rather than repairing it.  Good luck with it!

Offline davidafranklin

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »
Thank you, your help has been much appreciated.