Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Why does my fridge get to 45 degs ? Advise pls  (Read 167 times)

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
Why does my fridge get to 45 degs ? Advise pls
« on: July 13, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »

Ok I donít have the mod number because Iím not home but speaking in general.
Itís a side by side Whirlpool about 15 yrs old
It will get down to 35 no problem but it seems it goes into defrost mode every night around meal time and with opening it only a few times the temp goes up to 45 or 46 before going out of defrost and running again
This doesnít seem normal

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Why does my fridge get to 45 degs ? Advise pls
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 08:48:40 PM »
Sounds normal to me if it has a mechanical timer advance it to change defrost time

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:08:13 PM »
How often does the defrost run? Iíd like it to come in the middle of the night but does it only do it every 24 hrs ?
I assume I could wait till it was running then just advance the timer till fridge shut off
That would put it into defrost ?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:37:45 AM »
Depends on timer there are 6 , 8 and 12 hour.  Turning timer until it shuts off will work

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 05:38:48 AM »
Need a model number!!!

There are a number of ways that the time between defrost cycles is set.

Mechanical timers can advance whenever the unit is plugged in (constant) or just when the compressor runs (cumulative).
They are usually in the  6 to 8 hour range.
Manually advancing them just varies the time to the next defrost cycle or if you turn it far enough starts a defrost cycle. It does not change the time between future cycles.

Electronic also have a number of methods. One common one is by the time that the door is open but there are many more.

In almost all cases the defrost cycle time is fixed usually 30 minutes.
So defrost starts. The defrost heater comes on. When the defrost thermostat (clipped to the top of the evaporator coils) gets above freezing (all the ice gone) it opens and kills power to the heater. The defrost cycle continues for the rest of the 30 minutes but the heater is off.

So you may have a problem with the defrost thermostat.
Some units have baffles/stops on the side of the evaporator coil that directs the heat up onto the coils which can cause problems if they move or disintegrate.
May also be that you are opening the door often, a bad door seal (either the fresh food or freezer) or there is high humidity. This  will form more frost/ice on the coils so it will need the heater to be on for a longer time to get rid of it. This adds more heat to the unit and that will be seen in the fresh food section once the fans come on.
Or it may just be the nature of the beast.

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:35:29 AM »
Mod # ED20TQXEWOO
That Q may be a O

Thank you for the help..
I guess I was thinking if there is a way to have it defrost at 3 am instead of 5 pm
It has been very humid here and hot but most days I have the ac on