Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE JRP15 electric oven not fully shutting off  (Read 262 times)

Offline sdMark

• VIP Member
GE JRP15 electric oven not fully shutting off
« on: July 03, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »

Hi,

Homeowner here. Okay electrical skills, own a multimeter, but no oven repair experience.

I installed a GE JRP15B0WBB electric oven, originally purchased in 2001. It gets very little use and has always worked fine. However after cooking at 450 for half an hour recently, it wouldn't fully shut off. Fan kept running, heat stuck around 350 if I recall.

Testing since then, if I heat it for 5-10 minutes, then shut off, it's still 125-175 or so 45 minutes later and the heating element is too warm to touch.

If I shut off at breaker and let it cool down completely, it does not immediately heat when I turn the breaker back on. So that seems normal, but once I turn it on and off again, it won't fully shut off.

Today I pulled the lower heating element and the control panel. I don't see any signs of fusion/welding/shorting that I have seen mentioned elsewhere. The control panel and clock seem to work fine?

Some photos from today are attached.

Any suggestions on what to test or fix?

Thanks very much,

Mark
San Diego

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: GE JRP15 electric oven not fully shutting off
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:58:55 AM »
I am confused about the history of the unit.
"Bought 2001, always worked OK, I installed"
Did you move it or what ?

You will have to pull it and check the wiring.
Then check the power across the heating element when it is off but heating.
If it is switching power to the element5 (240 volts), then I would say it is a control board problem.

Offline sdMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
Thanks for your reply and especially for the tip about expected voltage.

I am confused about the history of the unit.
"Bought 2001, always worked OK, I installed"
Did you move it or what ?
Original owner bought 2001, I bought from him 2013 and moved to my house. So really I can only say it's worked fine since I've owned it.

You will have to pull it and check the wiring.
Then check the power across the heating element when it is off but heating.
If it is switching power to the element5 (240 volts), then I would say it is a control board problem.
When I pulled the oven, there are no exposed wires, just 3/4" flexible conduit. It's hard-wired, no plug.

I pulled the lower element again and measured voltage across the wires. 236 volts when on, 0 when off.

Now I'm wondering if this whole thing is a mistake and it just takes a long time to cool down. How long should an insulated oven take to go from 350 back to under 100 degrees? I tested 1.5 hours this morning...

Offline sdMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 05:52:38 PM »
Update: with the circuit breaker on and the oven off, I confirmed 0 volts across the heating element again and was preparing to slide the element back into the hole and screw it in. I missed the hole and got a good pop and spark between the left side of the element and the inside back of the oven. You can see the black mark in this new photo. However when I check again, still 0 volts across the element leads and 0 volts between the element lead and the oven. Why the spark?

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »
I cannot find a wiring diagram for this unit but the following is my best guess.

The element works on 240 volts L1 to L2.
Neutral/ground is not involved.
But many units only switch one side of the line on/off to control the element.
So the other side of the line /element is always live when referenced to Neutral/ground.
So when off L1 to L2 measures 0 volts, L1 to Neutral is 0 volts (switched side) and L2 to Neutral is 120 volts (always connected).

One way to tell if your cool down is normal is to use then unit shut it off and then also flip the breaker off.
If it takes the same amount of time to cool down then it is normal.

Offline sdMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »
Right, thanks, forgot that 240 has two 120 legs and a common neutral. I'm not sure exactly how this is switched, but I tested again with breaker on and oven off. L1 to L2 is 0. L1 to ground (side of oven) is 120. L2 to ground is also 120. So that explains the arcing between one terminal and the side of the oven. I'll turn off breaker to reassemble!

Attaching the technical data sheet that was behind the control panel in case it is of interest.

Will try the suggested comparison testing later.

Thanks again for your help!

Mark

Offline sdMark

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »
Oops yeah not a common neutral but I guess a common ground?