Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer model LDG512 with s/n 44031  (Read 186 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag gas dryer model LDG512 with s/n 44031
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:34:29 AM »

I was given this dryer as a trade for a similar model . The customer said it was noisy when turning the drum. When it was taken apart I found the blower wheel loose on the  shaft which I have seen many times. This is the type that uses a flat on the motor shaft and a corresponding flat on the ID of the blower wheel. In this case I was able to shim the blower wheel ID and reinstall. I have done it many times. The belt on this model runs the flat side of the belt on the drum as compared to other units which run the grooved side on the drum. As an improvement (IMO) I install adhesive traction pads on the drum for the belt to get a better grip when turning a heavy load of wet clothes. 5 of these are spaced at equal dimensions around the drum in the belt path. These are about 1" square cut from a larger piece of stair tread material I buy from Menards. One section will do at least 10 drums. This may be of value to some of you folks repairing these older dryers which are very good for long life. My guess is that this unit is at least 25 years old and runs very well. Comments ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag gas dryer model LDG512 with s/n 44031
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:51:53 PM »
If it ain't broken don't fix it. Did Maytag service for 26+ years and still servicing machines I sold 40 years ago. The best washers and dryers built. It may wear out the belt prematurely as friction on start up instead of slight slip.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas dryer model LDG512 with s/n 44031
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:24:54 AM »
I was given another one of these older dryers  yesterday and even though it did not show signs of belt wear or slippage I put the traction pads on the drum anyhow. These older units sure do last a long time ! Wish the newer ones did  also..