Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Dryer gtx22gask0ww - Belt Sounds Twisted but Sits on Drum Fine  (Read 406 times)

Offline Ammontes

• VIP Member

Hi All!

Was hoping that you could please help me out.  I have a GE dryer - GTX22eask0ww model.  More recently I replaced the dryer belt while swapping out slides for maintenance.  Everything was working well until about a few weeks ago in which I am now hearing a noise that resembles the belt twisting.  It is similar to a pop or rubber band snap noise.  It occurs once or twice with a full spin of the drum.  I have double checked the belt to see if there is any twisting and there is not.  Unfortunately, this noise only occurs after the housing is back on the dryer and cannot be heard when turning the drum loosely sitting on the bearing.  Not sure if this could possibly be a pulley tension issue.  Any ideas on what would be making a snapping noise even though the belt does not seem to be twisted?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anthony

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE Dryer gtx22gask0ww - Belt Sounds Twisted but Sits on Drum Fine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »
You want to make sure the belt has not slipped off the pulley and it is riding on the Motor shaft. Also check the blower wheel to make sure it is not stripped and just dangling on the front of the motor shaft. Pre-check the drum spinning by hand before you put the front panel on. When you install the belt on the Belt tensioner you have to spin the drum to straighten out and center the belt on the drum before installing from panel. Let us know what you find.

Offline Ammontes

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I always make sure the belt stays on the motor shaft as well as the pulley prior to ourrong panel on.  At the same time I made sure to rotate drum to align the belt.  This noise did not occur when spinning the drum while panel was not on, so don't believe the blower wheel is the issue.  I can do a double check with the belt being on accurately, but confident this is not the issue. In the meantime any other possibilities that would cause this "rubber ping" noise when the drum does a complete turn?

Offline Ammontes

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
In messing with this more, the noise is the belt moving off center with the drum.  The pulley seems to be able to move back and forth with some play which I understand is normal. What could cause the belt to move off track?  It is secured around motor shaft and pulley. 

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Only the Idler pulley or rear bearing would alter this - might be worn - did you make sure the tub is insert all the way in on the rear housing and the teflon bearing on shaft did not fall off when you inserted and re-installed the Drum?

Offline Ammontes

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
Exactly where I was going with this per your reply.  So I realized the drum is indeed all the way back and connected between the shaft and bearing. But what I realize is the drum has movement when the panel is on.  Meaning, it has some give and slides front to back by about a quarter of an inch.  Is it normal for the drum to have a little movement?  Or should it be secure with no back and forth (front to back) give? Thanks again for your input.

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 02:27:48 AM »
Ok I'm assuming since you changed the inserts, how far gone was the assembly? The plastic drum support is a slippery slope, as is the front felt. I've seen plenty of GE dryers so far gone that they ate a hole in the door frame. Some found the interior light wire and ZAP!

Seriously though, I would definitely double check the slide inserts are in the right spots and the inside of the drum lip is smooth. And that the felt isn't all bunched up, twisted, torn, or loose. Oh, and the whole shabang comes as a factory certified kit that's a sure fire cure. Belt, felt, bearing and gray and white inserts. If the plastic drum support is worn out much, where it's lost a slider and rubbed thin (or a hole), I always pull the drum to check for a sagging element and ugly back axle. Better than not looking and having another go at it in a month.

Offline Ammontes

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Everything you me mentioned was replaced except for the bearing.  I am thinking that is my next step as that could be worn and causing the slight gap movement of the drum.  Not sure if it's normal for some movement (front to back) of drum, but assuming not

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
check out this service bulletin.