Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: RF23J9011SR Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker freezes up  (Read 128 times)

Offline boxer

• VIP Member
RF23J9011SR Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker freezes up
« on: June 23, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »

I have a Samsung Refrigerator Model RF23J9011SR/AA Rev. 08 purchased in December 2016 (about 3 years old).

I have a problem where there is frost buildup within the icemaker (see photos). I therefore do a manual (forced) defrost about every 4 to 6 weeks. The procedure I use is:

On the front panel press Freezer (top left) and Cool Select (middle right) buttons simultaneously for about 8 seconds, until there is a ping and the display goes blank. Then, press any other button until Fd appears (I usually press the Crushed Ice button). Each press selects a different special test mode FF, then OF    C, then Fr, then finally Fd. Once Fd is selected it goes into the Forced Defrost mode and will beep for about 25 minutes while it is defrosting. During this period all lights on the front panel are off. At the end the beeping stops, normal lights come on at the front panel, and the refrigerator is back to normal and the frost in the icemaker has melted.

However, when I went through this process 2 days ago, it went into Fd, but after about 10-15 seconds it gave a ping sound, the normal lights came on in the display, but the beeping continued for the usual 25 minutes, after which it stopped. However, there had been no defrosting, the frost build-up in the icemaker was still there.

I repeated this 2-3 times with the same results. The only way to stop the beeping after hearing the ping (indicating it was coming out of Forced Defrost mode to normal operation) was to power off the fridge.

Here are a few questions:
1.   What causes the frost buildup, requiring the forced defrost? My friend has the identical fridge, he does not have this issue.
2.   Most importantly, how do I get it to do the manual defrost? Is there some other method to force it? What might have gone wrong?
3.   Even better, what can I do to prevent the frost buildup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline boxer

• VIP Member
Re: RF23J9011SR Samsung Refrigerator - Ice Maker freezes up
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
I have also found that there is a class action suit against Samsung for this issue. Interested members can gte more info and add themselves to the suit at https://kohnswift.com/2017/03/16/ks...-for-refrigerators-with-defective-ice-makers/

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
There have been many bulletins issued by Samsung to try and fix this issue. I have seen on other forums many discussions about sealing the gaps around the back to stop air leaking into ice maker and the water tube from back has to be adjusted etc. If you search around you might find the newest bulletin. Some have said doing the modification works some say it doesn't work.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »
Here is a 2019 service bulletin that shows your model number and the parts needed to do the update.