Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Monogram ZISB480DRI - Recurring Frost Issue  (Read 80 times)

Offline jleo_jleo

• VIP Member
GE Monogram ZISB480DRI - Recurring Frost Issue
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »

Hi folks - brand new here...

Have a recurring issue where my refrigerator's temperature is increasing over time (after a manual thaw) due to the evaporator coils icing up. This first started about a month ago when a transformer blew up on our block and we lost power..  I hadn't put the transformers outage to the root cause, because I had been reading that the typical problem generally happens because of a bad defrost thermostat. Previous defrost therm tested bad (didn't change continuity when hot/cold) always was open (0.0 ohms). New one passed and so was installed 8 days ago.

Today I was greeted with a 39 degree refrigerator temperature which is now 6 degrees higher than what it is set for (33) and is now repeated behavior to what it was prior to defrost thermostat replacement. I ordered a main board this morning hoping this will cure it once and for all.

Any additional words of wisdom or course correction?

Thanks!

-Joe

Offline jleo_jleo

• VIP Member
Re: GE Monogram ZISB480DRI - Recurring Frost Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
Additional information: So, when I replaced the defrost thermostat, just wanted to say that the evap fairly well frosted, but what was notable was that the bottom of the evap coils sitting in the defrost drain pan was completely blocked up with solid ice. I'd say at least 1-2 inches of solid ice.

Not sure if this helps, but it confuses me as you'd think this would happen ONLY if the defrost heater WAS working and somehow it's just building up at the bottom. Please note I did clean the drain tube, (to some extent). I snaked it with a smaller diameter vacuum line I had laying around down to about 10-12" inches.. Not sure that's enough..

Any helpful comments welcome.

Thanks again!

-Joe