Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: can't remove agitator  (Read 296 times)

Offline 4uzindian

• VIP Member
can't remove agitator
« on: June 21, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »

kenmore 70 series washer.the bolt on top of agitator won't loosen.it seems to be spinning the shaft or what ever is in there.i seen many easy videos of this.any thoughts.also the bottom of agitator {paddles}has a lot of side  to side movement.not seen any thing that mentions this.machine is from the 80's. :embarassed:

Offline luck

• Technician
Re: can't remove agitator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:39:55 PM »
get a hammer and shock it hit it hard a few times should do the trick

Offline 4uzindian

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
thanks for your answer.i tapped but it didn't work.again i held the bottom paddles with left hand .but the bolt kept spinng the shaft inside there i could feel it turning.,is there somthing under the machine i could hold or brace to loosen this bolt?

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »
Sounds like the splines inside the top of the plastic agitator are stripped out.  When you turn the bolt, you are spinning the agitator shaft inside the top of the plastic agitator.  You will have to brake off the old agitator and replace it with a new one.  The last one I did was able to purchase just the bottom half of the agitator and use the old top half with the spiral part.  It might not split with a chisel.  If not try cutting it off with a Dremmel.  Good Luck!

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
It may not do you any good for this particular model but I used  a couple of small air bag devices under the bottom of the agitator to apply upward pressure to pop the agitator loose . This is almost always necessary on the Speed Queen models . They dont use a bolt in the top end but rather a splined coupling under the bottom section of the agitator. It works like a charm. These are available at places like Menards or Home Depot for about $18 each under the name WIN BAG and are usually found in the area of windows and doors since they are very helpful in raising doors and windows for installation. Hope this helps.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:22:07 AM »
I usually get a 10mm socket or 1mm size socket smaller and literally hammer the smaller socket onto the stripped out head of the bolt. A 12 point socket usually does the trick you'll feel the bolt engage once you hammer the socket down on the bolt head then hold the agitator with other hand and break it loose. Usually this happens from RUST on the head of the bolt. Sometimes you have to replace the bolt or grind the head of the bolt down to replace it - sometimes you have to get a new bolt too!

Offline e.p.

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »
If the bolt and shaft are turning the splines on the agitator are probably bad. That means its hammer and chisel time. Also, when you get it off check the transmission shaft splines and make sure they are good. If they are bad it will just chew up the splines on the new agitator.

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
"Agi Tamer" best tool ever for removing those agitators but good luck finding one they have disappeared somebody must have gotten hurt and sued . 

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »
The item I mentioned in an earlier post    WINBAG  available at Menards and Home Depot is very useful at removal of the agitators from the splined drive coupling such as used in Speed Queen machines. They cost about $18 each and are worth it. . The last time I used a set it popped the agitator loose in a few minutes. I used 2 of them spaced 180 degrees apart.

Offline mrcondenser

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »
put the machine in dry education by setting it on 2 minutes of the normal cycle.  if that won't work fill it up until it starts to agitate,  that will lock the transmission shaft so it won't spin when you try and take off the bolt.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:38:05 AM »
If you use any of the "bag" removal tools, keep your face out of the way.

When the agitator lets go, it's going to be moving very quickly.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:13:05 AM »
As  a caution when using the WINBAGS I always  put a heavy towel on top of the agitator in case it pops off quickly .  NEVER put your face in the direction  the  agitator can move when it breaks loose.