Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE fridge mbc12gazalss, narrow and tall fridge  (Read 88 times)

Online shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
GE fridge mbc12gazalss, narrow and tall fridge
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »

This fridge is tall and narrow,fans and compressor are running,but barely cool,freezer is almost room temperature.The high pressure pipe is very hot,I can hear refrigerant hissing slightly inside the freezer. There is a diverter valve on the right side of the compressor.only 2 wires go to the diverter valve.How does this diverter valve work?Does it cool one section at a time?Each compartment has super cool or super cold option.I selected freezer super cold,it did not get colder.Would this be a diverter malfunction?please help!How can I tell what the problem is?

Online shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: GE fridge mbc12gazalss, narrow and tall fridge
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:18:04 AM »
I went back to try to confirm the problem.I suspected it had a freon leak or a freon plugged up.I installed a piercing valve to the suction access pipe to  check the pressure.It was 10"vacuum.I added some freon to the system.the suction pressure went up to 60 psig and stayed there for almost 10 minutes.Then dropped to 40 psig.
Suddenly the pressure went down to 10 psig.It is back to normal.So I accidentally unclogged the cap tube.The added freon created high pressure
 to push the dirt thru the cap tube.This is the first time I fixed the plug-up.