Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung dv350aep dryer won't heat after replacing heating element  (Read 218 times)

Offline baytella

• VIP Member

Hi,
My samsung dryer suddenly stopped heating. I opened it up and cleaned all the lint and replaced all the parts in the heater unit (heating coil [10 ohms], fuse [0.1 ohms], high limit [0.1 ohms]). I also checked the thermoster [9000 ohms room temperature] and the thermoster fuse [0.1 ohms]. Then, I checked the relay for power on and running. Both say 120V. I am kind of stuck now and have no idea what to do next. Any suggestions?

Model Number: dv350aep
Brand: Samsung

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Samsung dv350aep dryer won't heat after replacing heating element
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
Below is a tech sheet for the unit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4NMEZXcmRYQUVCVDg/view

You said you checked the heater relay.
Where did you check it?

Using Neutral/ground as the reference side on the meter can be confusing.
RY6 BLK should be 120 all the time.
RY6 BLU should be 0 volts when unit is off and 120 volts when unit is on.

But the above does not tell you that the heater relay RY6 is actually closing.
So BLK always has 120 on it as it is hard wired.
But if RY6 does not close when running it will still get 120 volts but this will be the other side of the line Red to Neutral a this will feed through the centrifugal switch on the motor and the heater components to RY6 BLU.
So if it closes you get 120 volts and if it does not close you get 120 volts and there is no way to tell with a meter if the 120 is L1 or L2.
Remove the wire from RY6 BLU and rerun the test.
Just cannot short to anything.
Now if you see 120 at the BLU connector you know that it is L1 voltage.

If the above checks out OK then odds are that there is a problem with the centrifugal switch on the motor re: it is not closing.
A way to confirm this is to unplug the unit and the two heavier red wires at the centrifugal switch and short them together, Make sure they cannot short to anything else or get caught in a moving part.
Then plug the unit in and give it a try.
If you get heat then the centrifugal switch is the problem.
Could be that the switch is bad or the mechanics that clos the switch have a problem.
NOTE: This is just for testing and the unit cannot be left like this as it is a safety hazard !!!!!