Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung RB1944SL refrigerator Unplugged and Replugged to get temps displayed  (Read 136 times)

Offline icejax

• VIP Member

I have a Samsung RB1944SL refrigerator from 2004. About a week ago I noticed that the temps displayed on the outside display were wrong, the temps inside the fridge/freezer were much higher, in fact the contents of the freezer were thawed out. Unplugged and Replugged and temps displayed on the outside display were correct and the fridge/freezer started working again and cooled to correct temps. Until about 4 hours later and the cycle would repeat. Temps displayed on the outside display were wrong, the temps inside the fridge/freezer would begin warming. So every 4 hours we are Unplugging and Replugging to keep it working. The 4 hours lines up with the defrost cycle after plugging it in.Other than unplugging it, I haven't tried anything else. We live in a remote area, with no repairmen or supplies to repair it. Any parts would take over a week to get here.

Offline Dash

• Technician
When your refrigerator warms up is the compressor running?  If compressor isn't running and unplugging it gets it going, chances are you electronic control board DA41-00128D is bad or going bad.  It's available from searspartsdirect for $90.

Offline icejax

• VIP Member
Occasionally I will hear something running after the first 4 hours and it's louder than when its first plugged in. Is that the compressor?

Offline Dash

• Technician
Usually Samsung compressors are very quiet.  Noises are mostly from the fans.  If your refrigerator gets noisier over time you might have a defrost problem or a defrost drain problem.  Either issue causes ice to form and eventually it reaches an evaporator fan and makes noise when the fan blade hits ice.

Next time you have to unplug it, leave it unplugged for at least 30 minutes with the refrig doors opened and remove the big back panel in the refrig compartment.  It's very difficult to remove when refrig is cold.  I suspect you'll find the defrost drain is blocked.  Pour boiling water down the drain to unblock it or use a hand-held steam cleaner to blast it free.