Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: whirlpool model ED5LHAXWQ00 defroster not defrosting  (Read 298 times)

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
whirlpool model ED5LHAXWQ00 defroster not defrosting
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »

so both the fridge wasn’t cooling down and the freezer items started to defrost.

there was a lot of ice visible on the freezer inside panel. so i checked the following:
1) thermostat..it was closed (showed continuity) when it was frozen and it showed open (no continuity) when at room temperature. means = thermostat is good
2) checked heater wire: shows a resistance of 23.7 ohms…i think this is good, right?

then i removed the thermostat, and joined the wires together to bypass the thermostat to ensure the loop is closed, then:
3) voltage at the wires for the heater measure = 6.7volts
4) i had a spare defrost control board, put it in there and measured the voltage at the wires, replaced it and the voltage still measure 6.7 volts at the heater wire.

question:
1) what voltage should i be reading at the wires at the heater…120v AC, right?
2) by connecting the wires for the thermostat, i have closed the loop right? so the board should be sending voltage for the heater wire to turn on, right?
3) what is wrong?
4) how do i know if the defrost control board is bad? at the white and black terminals on the the defrost control board, it measures 120 volt

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: whirlpool model ED5LHAXWQ00 defroster not defrosting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:08:19 AM »
Below is the tech sheet incase you do not have it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4NbmVWUE9iU0VNbjQ/view

1) what voltage should i be reading at the wires at the heater…120v AC, right?
Yes 120 when in defrost

2) by connecting the wires for the thermostat, i have closed the loop right? so the board should be sending voltage for the heater wire to turn on, right?
Not sure what you mean. The board has to be forced into defrost mode, see the tech sheet

3) what is wrong?
I do not know. You have to do more troubleshooting.

4) how do i know if the defrost control board is bad? at the white and black terminals on the the defrost control board, it measures 120 volt
Force a defrost. The fans and compressor will shut off when in defrost. Measure from white to pink at the defrost board. There sgould be 120 volts. If not then I would say that the defrost board is bad.

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
Thank you for your reply. 
-by closing the thermostat loop, i cut the thermostat off and joined the two wires (black and pink) to gather.

i have some questions:
how do i turn off or on the thermostat?

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
i just realized...parts vendors and some other places are calling the bi-metal as thermostat.

by cutting out the thermostat, i mean bi-metal and joined the lines

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
sorry for the multiple post.

I've figured out what it means when it says:
a) power off and power on to fridge = actual fridge plugged into wall
b) thermostat on or off = refrigerator slider (which is the fridge side thermostat) which has an "off" position

So the results of using the option #1 and #2....there is no more ice there as it had melted over night
A) with the bi-metal wires manually connected, bi-metal thermostat is removed:
the compressor did not turn on
the defroster cycle turned on
there is 120V across the pink and white terminal on the defroster control board
the elements heats up instantly.

B) with the bi-metal reattached:
the compressor came on = bi-metal thermostat is open
voltage at the pink and white is 6.61V which i was getting earlier

So now what? 
does this mean i have no issues right now?
do i just plug the fridge back in and see what happens over the next two days or so?

aside questions:
1)why is there 6.6 V still in the pink and white circuit when the bi-metal loop is open?

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 04:42:18 AM »
So now what?
does this mean i have no issues right now?
do i just plug the fridge back in and see what happens over the next two days or so?

Check the bi-metal.
It should be closed (0 ohms) when frozen. But also should be 56,000 ohms when at room temperature.
It has to have the 56Kohms in order for the defrost board to work correctly.
If the bi-metal is OK then reassemble it and see what happens.
Odds are that the defrost board is bad re: it is not starting a defrost cycle when it should.

aside questions:
1)why is there 6.6 V still in the pink and white circuit when the bi-metal loop is open?

This is probably ghost voltage.
When two wires are close together and on of them has AC on it, the powered wire induces a voltage onto the non powered wire due to electromagnetic radiation.
This is basically how a transformer works  but the wires are very long so you get a voltage and available current.

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
I forgot to mention that the bi-metal readings...i tested by putting it in my other freezer
when closed cold:  showed a close loop and almost zero or very low ohms depending on the temperature
when at room temperature:  showed open...couldn't pin point what temperature it showed open

question:
1) the bi-metal does not have any numbers on it...how do i find out what the temperature range is for the bi-metal?

I am very grateful for you providing me with the wiring and forced defroster instructions. I enjoyed looking at the wiring diagram with my son.

I did originally look for the wiring diagram online but was surprised when i wasn't able to find it online.  My fridge didn't have it or i misplaced it 2 or 3 years ago when my fridge side thermostat-on/off went bad.

thank you once again.

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:01:34 AM »
I looked up the model on the Sears parts site.
It gave a part number of WPW10225581

I then Googled that number and on Amazon they say:
Opens at 45 degrees F
Closes at 18 degrees F

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
Hello Manden, I was just reading this post to learn things. You have lots of patience and research skills. It's great to know Google and Amazon can give you all those info. Well I now have more resources to find info. You have given great help to this repair community. Thank you!

Offline footprintsinconc

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
Thank you once again!!  :thanks: :thanks: