Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Transmission Rebuild ?? W10811956  (Read 245 times)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Transmission Rebuild ?? W10811956
« on: June 04, 2020, 07:03:15 AM »

Anyone happen to know if the Tub Seal on this Newer Whirlpool Cabrio Top Load Washer is available? Happen to have Part Number for Tub Seal or has anyone ever Rebuilt this Transmission by drilling the weld holes apart and replaced both top and bottom bearings??

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Transmission Rebuild ?? W10811956
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
Maybe there's a part number on the inner side of the old seal? I've heard there some kind of oil reservoir in those too hence why they always spew it everywhere. Never separated one, keep us updated I'm curious on the in eareds .
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
When Whirlpool introduced the vertical modular washer some years back, we had lots of transmission failures; commonly the main seal failed causing the upper bearing to go bad and that made a terrible noise is spin.  Initially the gearcase (transmission) was over $200 wholesale so it made financial sense to rebuild them.

We started rebuilding them by drilling out the rivets which is way easy as they're soft metal.  If the gearcase you're considering rebuilding is leaking oil, forget it and throw that gearcase out.  The difficult part is removing the metal sleeve on the output shaft without destroying the plastic planetary gearcase.  Putting it back together is easy.  We used common 1/4" rivets to reassemble so you'll have to use a Dremel grinder to relieve some of the plastic ribs on the outer tub where the rivet heads interfere.  So far we've never had a call back on any VMW gearcase that we rebuilt and some of them we did 7 years ago.

Main seal part number is W10324647
Bearing part number 6006-2RS

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 06:13:46 AM »
Any chance you can send some pics? Thank You for the info and seal part #'s. I try to rebuild everything I can if I can - Oil seal on Transmission is NOT leaking!

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of a rebuilt VMW gearcase.  We did make a special tool to remove the spin tube from the upper stamped gearcase housing.  The special tool is a round hollow cylinder of steel that allows you to pound out the spin tube without putting pressure or impact on the center agitator shaft.  If you pound on the agitator shaft you'll likely destroy the plastic planetary gear housing.

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 05:45:50 PM »
My super secret hollow cylinder tube tool is called a schedule 40 pipe nipple. Can't remember exactly, but methinks it's 1.5 inch. Maybe 1.25 inch. I try to avoid the VMW washers anymore, because if it's not one thing it's another. Seal failure causing loud noises and shifter drowning, control boards losing their wits, suspension rods wearing out are the big problems...