Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Water flows into ice maker when dispenser paddle pressed  (Read 214 times)

Offline apprepairtoday

• VIP Member
Water flows into ice maker when dispenser paddle pressed
« on: June 02, 2020, 08:40:00 PM »

Hello everyone, first time poster here.  I have a real head scratcher that I want to run by you guys to see if anyone can help me out.  I am working on a Whirlpool french door refrigerator model number is WRF990SLAM02.  The original problem was that the water dispenser was not working.  I found that the valve wasn't getting power and did some research online and discovered that this is a common issue caused by a shorted out crisper drawer temp control board.  Sure enough, there was no display on that board so I replaced it.  The water dispenser now works but it also sends power to the ice maker water valve so the ice maker overfills whenever I use the water dispenser.  In the same manner, I ran the ice maker fill test and the water dispenser actuates when the ice maker calls for water.  Seems like those 2 valve (1 part found in the top of the refrigerator) are wired to open when either is activated.  The ice maker valve solenoid gets only 60-70 VAC when activated.  I assumes it was a control board and ordered W10861900 which includes both the main control in the back and the dispenser control up front.  This did not solve the problem.  I'm only led to believe that perhaps the crisper temp board I received is bad???  Does anyone have any other suggestions? 
TIA

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
Re: Water flows into ice maker when dispenser paddle pressed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:08:25 AM »
there is a diode in line with the harness in the compressor compartment that will cause this issue.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 02:57:16 AM »
Hello draymc48,I am very curious about the diode in the compressor compartment that can cause the ice maker valve to be energised when the water dispenser is energised.I would never relate the two valves to work together due to a diode broken.I will have a look at the wiring diagram to understand this a bit more.Thank you for bringing this up.

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 06:10:53 AM »
Hi Shillion, I've only senn one do that and its been a few years, so all the little details aren't there. I just remember hitting the paddle for water and watching the ice maker overflow, which was very bizarre. Our company has factory autho for WPL, so I called them and they immediately pointed me to the diode mentioned like they've seen it several times.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 04:37:46 AM »
Draymac,this info came from whirlpool,wow!Thank you for sharing.Would save me a few hours of research and still could not find the correct answer.