Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Older Maytag gas dryer model LDG 410 with s/n 381891 JC  (Read 293 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Older Maytag gas dryer model LDG 410 with s/n 381891 JC
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:06:19 AM »

This unit was sold and worked for about one day  and stopped heating. The customer returned it  and I am now looking for reasons why it does not heat. The glow bar heats up and I can hear a solenoid click at the valve. The flame sensor was replaced.  All thermostats and wiring are OK. The motor runs well to provide good air flow. This unit is pretty old and uses a gas valve that is no longer available . It uses 2 solenoids  and is a longer version that almost all units have superceded in terms of design. I suspect the gas valve is sticking and want to install a newer type gas valve but need some advice on the wiring . Can anyone assist ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Older Maytag gas dryer model LDG 410 with s/n 381891 JC
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
I believe this old gas valve uses 3 solenoids not 2 as I mentioned in my previous entry. I asked Maytag for help but they could not provide and useful info.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 01:19:24 PM »
That is an old one! Never saw a burner with 3 coils. Essentially you hear a click, ignitor turns on, radiant/flame sensor opens and secondary coil clicks. If no second click and ignitor turns off everything is good except second coil. I’d replace all coils if that’s what’s happening. You can also ohm the coils out most times the either open or good. They’ll be in the K ranges.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
As an alternative to the old valve assembly I put a fairly new gas valve assembly in place to see if I could make this unit work.  The gas connector and bracket were reworked very  slightly to fit  in place of the old one. The new gas valve has brand new solenoid coils. The ignitor was reused as it was working  when I took everything apart. The flame sensor was reused as it was checked and found to be in correct working condition. . The Hi limit t-stat is working  OK according to my tests.  I cant however figure out the wiring using this new valve/solenoid assembly. The new assembly uses 2 connectors on the solenoids ,one for the 3 prong side solenoid and another one for the 2 prong side solenoid. I made a diagram of the wiring  but the terminals are difficult for me to understand. Is the holding coil the 3 prong solenoid or is the booster and secondary coil the 3 prong  side ? The old setup used a wire connection from the high limit t-stat leading to the gas valve area where it tied into the ignitor. The other side of the ignitor then feeds to the flame sensor but between them it tied into the junction of the booster coil and secondary coil. The bottom of the flame sensor tied into the bottom of the secondary coil and to the bottom of the holding coil and finally to the black wire back to the motor.  I have tried a lot of differnt hookups so far and succeeded in getting the blower to run but not to get the ignitor to glow. Most of the time my 110 volt breaker pops. Does anyone have some words of wisdom before I throw in the towel ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
I have done 3 and just use a harness off a newer Whirlpool Kenmore and it works fine. I just splice incoming wires. You will have to reverse the valve body but it still works.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 12:22:31 AM »
Difficult without looking at it but you know how that goes. All I can say is you have a neutral and line Swapped when something closes it's going to ground and popping your breaker so something is backwards or where it shouldn't be. Sounds like a tough one! Best of luck to ya😊
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »
I am still plugging away trying to make this unit work but have not had any success in terms of getting heat. I just found a Kenmore gas unit that was to be scrapped so I took the wire harness off as suggested by another repair person. The wire connections were much simpler doing it this way. New solenoids were installed  on the valve body. No gas is able to flow however. The glow bar is heating as it should  and the flame sensor tests OK and the blower is running properly but I cannot get gas to flow. A question I have of other folks is how critical it is for the glow bar to be in prefect alignment for the flame sensor  opening. When I put a new valve body in place I had to move it over a bit so it is not perfect in terms of alignment. It is off by about 1/4"in the fore and aft direction. Comments and any other helpful hints ???

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
In further work on this dryer, I tried something that made no logical sense but it worked to allow the gas valve to flow gas to the burner and produce heat. I took one lead from the flame sensor off and hooked it up using a temporary connection which I could disconnect as I choose to using an alligator clip jumper . As the glow bar got warm enough (about 30 seconds ) and the gas line was hooked up I disconnected this connection and the burner  came to life!!!. I cant find a problem with the flame sensor and switched it out several times with others but the darn thing does not work the way I think it should. Can anyone offer some advice on this situation ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
In order to make this unit work I did some additional rework. I took the flame sensor off and took it apart from the clamp and removed the glass. BTW if a person is working on a gas dryer it is a good idea to take this off and clean the clean the glass. I also moved the burner/ignitor assembly as close to the edge facing the flame sensor. Rework of the mount is necessary for the attachment screws. With these changes the unit works . Obviously some refinement is going to be necessary but I feel confident that I have succeeded. What a job !