Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: AFI2538AEB4 not making ice, replaced ice maker still no ice...  (Read 184 times)

Offline CyberCode26

• VIP Member

Hello, I could use some assistance. I have a Whirlpool AFI2538AEB4 refrigerator that is not making ice. I did some research online, and the most common problem is that the ice maker motor that turns the auger fails, and need replacing. Or the timer, etc. I just replaced the entire assembly, as it wasn't much more. No muss, no fuss.
New ice maker does not make ice. I'm not sure what else to do, as I have no schematic. I'm capable of troubleshooting, just could use some direction. I see on the timer there are different points to test, and I get 120v on the L and N when the switch is on and the doors are closed. But, still no auger movement, no ice making. (Auger being the white plastic piece that ejects the cubes from the tray). If I press door button for ice, I get the solenoid pop to open door, and the stainless feed auger moves. Water through the door works, so I know I have no flow issues (valve could be bad I understand, but again, ejection auger isn't moving at all). If any one has any info, I would be greatly appreciative of sharing!
Thank you!

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: AFI2538AEB4 not making ice, replaced ice maker still no ice...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
Tape door switch closed, strip a piece of romex for jumper and insert on T&H, wait for faint click noise then remove jumper. Water on door and IM are different. This will initiate full harvest and fill cycle of the IM. Fill cycle will happen when rake is somewhere between 12-3 o’clock position.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 10:17:47 PM »
here is the tech sheet.

Offline CyberCode26

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply!  I will have to wait until tomorrow to give this a try, but I will let you know what happens!

Offline CyberCode26

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:42 PM »
Ok, I finally got a chance to investigate (It's been busy at my business!).  My fridge has a wire that comes out and plugs into the H port. 
With the door switch open, I get 0V between L and N.  If I tape the switch shut, I get 120v.  Testing between T and H shows open circuit.  I get resistance for the motor, and for the mold heater.
I have a temp probe with a long wire, if I put the probe in the ice maker tray, close the doors, and wait 2-3 minutes, temperature settles to 14F. 
If I have door taped shut, and remove the wire from the H port, and jump the T and H ports, I get nothing. 

Thank you for your advice so far, hopefully with what I've provided, you can help direct me towards what I am missing.  :/

Offline CyberCode26

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:57:20 PM »
It looks like my Ice Maker replacement may be defective. The timer motor on it does not turn, it only hums when it has power applied.  I contacted the seller to see how they want to handle this.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you!

Offline CyberCode26

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 10:39:16 PM »
Thank you for your help, I received my replacement ice maker, and it did work.  I appreciate your stepping up to help someone here, stuff like this means TONS to people that aren't knowledgeable in your skill set!  I also appreciate the information on my fridge, that stuff is difficult to find, and I hope now that I can keep it running for much years to come with this info!