Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Top loading washer noise  (Read 148 times)

Offline soup006

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Top loading washer noise
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »

Our Whirlpool top loading washing has started making a louder than usual noise when it's on the spin cycle.  The clothes are not any wetter than usual when it completes.  I recorded the sound in the link below.  Hopefully you can tell what the problem is by listening.  Thanks for any help I can get.

https://youtu.be/a2tqhgK1zfw

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Whirlpool Top loading washer noise
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »
Hard to say by video as videos always distort the noises but itís most likely a bearing. Just have to figure out if thatís a gear case or a floating basket that requires a bearing kit and special tools.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline soup006

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »
Hard to say by video as videos always distort the noises but itís most likely a bearing. Just have to figure out if thatís a gear case or a floating basket that requires a bearing kit and special tools.

Thank you for the reply.  The model is WTW4880AW1.  It looks like maybe it needs a special tool, if I looked it up correctly.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:30:25 PM »
The upper bearing in your gearcase is definitely going bad due to a failed main seal.  To repair you have to replace gearcase W11255272 as the bearing isn't removable. Gearcase comes with a new main seal.  You'll need Whirlpool spanner wrench TB123A to remove the tub nut.  If you choose to live with the noise, eventually your washer will leak more and more and the washer won't fault out with various error codes.