Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen top load washer model AWN432SP113TW01 with s/n 1507040054  (Read 254 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician

I was given the above model washer for scrap price. It is in very nice clean condition but it will not run properly if it runs at all. The previous owner told me it did not drain at the end of the cycle. The pump is in good condition and the belt is OK. No obstruction with the outlet  hose. If I can get it to run thru a cycle  even with no clothes in the tub the motor gets very warm. He told me he suspected the motor start capacitor was bad and gave me a now one which I installed.  When I can get it to run it will sometimes kick the motor off when it come to the spin portion. I suspect this a thermal overload switch built into the motor.  The timer is able to turn as I am able to hear it run and also see the dial turn as it should.  I am looking for advice on what may be the problem area. I am able to turn the tub assembly by hand(with the power off of course) and it does not appear to be  bound up any where. Is this motor a  little weak ? Cananyone offer some advice.? This washer is in very nice condition and I really want to repair it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
FWIW---I replaced the belt although the original one was in good condition, I restarted the unit and it ran a short time before it started smoking at the motor  area and tripped out the 110 volt circuit breaker. I  am currently looking for other problem areas

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Of interest to me is the possibility of putting a larger motor start capacitor on this unit or adding a another one of the same size to give the motor a little more starting power. I am not sure if this would work and if the extra capacitor would need to be wired in parallel or in series with the existing one. I cannot find a problem with this unit except for when the motor starts smoking and it trips out the 110 volt breaker when it tries to start. Any opinions out there ?  The motor is p/n 38034

Offline Dash

• Technician
Turn the pulley by hand in the spin direction.  It will be hard to turn because you're rotating the basket but you should be able to turn it by hand.  If you can't turn it by hand you may have something stuck between the basket and outer tub or the upper bearing could be shot.  If you can turn the basket by hand then the motor is bad.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Iíd say you have A bad motor if itís not starting. A fully running washer I canít imagine would draw more than 3-4 amps at its peak. And even if it had bad windings itíll trip the TO not the panel. If your panels tripping you have a ground fault on that unit. Probably ground motor winding when it over heats. Sounds like a part out washer. Motors ware out or it got wet at some point?
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward replacement of the motor. Now I am looking for the best price on a new one since I dont want to take a chance on a used one

Offline Thorning

• Technician
My local dealer listened to my tale of woe and  had a used motor for this machine( p/n 38034), he sold me for a very low price and I am going to install this item and see if it cures the problem. The motor removed does not have any outward appearing problems.  This unit is too good of shape to scrap.  the factory told me to make sure I had adequate input voltage or it would overheat the motor.  I use the same outlet and a short extension cord for testing other machines so dont think this is a factor. Does anyone have some experience with low input voltage on a typical older washer such as this unit ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
The newer motor was installed and a few loads of clothes were run thru on the normal cycle.. The unit performed properly. The motor I removed must have had a serious wiring problem but it was not evident from the outside appearance. I learned from this experience not to take some things for granted.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
Glad itís going. Pretty much never exclude the easy is what I learned too. I over think a lot Too but sometimes gotta dumb it down.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Thorning did you pull the Basket out of Tub???  I had one with the same exact issue only 2 years old last week - customer gave it to me because it smoked the belt and pump. So i put a New Belt on it and an OEM Pump - it ran then motor started smoking - tub would not spin. Popped the lid and removed the cover. Found a "White Wife Beater" Tee shirt between tub and basket - thought that was it - nope. So I pulled the Basket and found another black sock under the basket on the bottom. Replaced the basket and everything worked perfectly! I think when people overload the washer - items work their way over the edge of basket and top cover that's what happened in my case!  That was a $500. find it LOOKS BRAND NEW!

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen top load washer model AWN432SP113TW01 with s/n 1507040054
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:50 AM »
Thorning did you pull the Basket out of Tub???  I had one with the same exact issue only 2 years old last week - customer gave it to me because it smoked the belt and pump. So i put a New Belt on it and an OEM Pump - it ran then motor started smoking - tub would not spin. Popped the lid and removed the cover. Found a "White Wife Beater" Tee shirt between tub and basket - thought that was it - nope. So I pulled the Basket and found another black sock under the basket on the bottom. Replaced the basket and everything worked perfectly! I think when people overload the washer - items work their way over the edge of basket and top cover that's what happened in my case!  That was a $500. find it LOOKS BRAND NEW!
What a score! Iíve been reeling in a few good flips but more flops. In Washington they leave them outside in the rain :( But thatís where eBay comes in handy. Plus a few actually good lg pumps which I know will come in handy.
🌲PNW Chris🌲