Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Leak at the top of the drain line funnel _ KitchenAid KRSF505EWH  (Read 243 times)

Offline Bodman

• VIP Member

KitchenAid Side by Side Refrigerator
Model No: KRSF505EWH00. 
Approximately 4 years old

There is a slow drip / leak coming from the fitting where the refrigerator side evaporator drain line exits to underneath the fridge on its way to the evaporator drain pan.
It leaks onto the drain line and runs down to the lowest point where it drips onto the stainless pan where it has begun to rust.
The leak appears to be coming from somewhere around the top of the funnel near the black gasket area, rather than the bottom of the grey funnel where the drain line ties into it.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Leak at the top of the drain line funnel _ KitchenAid KRSF505EWH
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
The drain tube looks out of position. The leak is probably condensation from air leakage or possibly drainage from the evaporator that's missing the drain tube.

However I don't see any rust in the picture, just insulation.

Offline Bodman

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback tcarmen.  It does look like it's pushed in a bit. 
Can I just pull the whole thing out (the black part - is it a gasket?), work on it and reseat it?  Do I have to remove the foam sealer?  And then do I use some kind of sealer to water proof it again (foam, silicone caulk)?
Here's another picture (attached) showing the rust.  It's down below, near the fan/floor.  I pointed out the drain tube running to the pan in red.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
Don't remove anything. The foam is part of the cabinet. If it's not torn, the black part doesn't need to be replaced.

The tube should be cleaned, and reattached where it belongs, and should be directing the drain water into the plastic tray.

Offline Bodman

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Thanks again for taking the time to reply tcarmen. I cleared the drain line, so I know that part is working fine. The rubber gasket / fitting isn't seated properly in the metal fridge cavity. Looks pushed in on one side, but it doesn't easily pop back out to true it up. Like you said, I'm afraid to dig that rubber fitting out, but the water isn't going into the grey drain funnel - some of it is dripping out the side between the gasket and the fridge cavity. I attached a close up of the gasket with the drain funnel+line removed. This is what the actual Whirlpool part looks like. https://www.whirlpoolparts.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pipe/W10247979/1873190
Thoughts?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »
I can't tell what's out of alignment from here.

Someone will need to go in there and see what's out of alignment and why, and fix it.