Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Replace hot wire relay  (Read 180 times)

Offline joeswamp

• VIP Member
Replace hot wire relay
« on: May 14, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »

The hot wire relay on my GE Monogram oven has given up the ghost, and it looks like it's NLA. There's some crazy guy on ebay selling replacements for like $600, but what I'm wondering is what's so special about this thing?

These relays don't use electromagnetic coils, but instead use some kind of bimetallic strip to close the contacts. I think they were traditionally used on ovens and big motors, but not sure if they're used now.

Can I replace it with a $30 high amperage contactor on DigiKey? Or do they draw too much coil current? Is there a standard replacement for GE P/N WB21X5362? This same relay was used on Thermadors and Jennairs as well.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974

Offline joeswamp

• VIP Member
Re: Replace hot wire relay
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:10:10 PM »
Yes probably worth a phone call but I've not had much luck with sears parts direct in the last few years. I don't think they have enough people working there to keep the website updated.

I did more research at lunch today and think I now understand why these hot wire relays were used -- a normal fast acting relay will click repeatedly as the thermostat approaches temperature. The slow movement of the bimetallic strip smooths things out and the relay makes/breaks contact about 10x less. The relay is also noiseless.

Some folks have tried replacing it with a contactor. It works, but the oven sounds like a machine gun. I suppose the hot wire relay could be replaced with a solid state relay but these things tend to catch fire when they overheat, not sure I'd want that.