Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG linear compressor failures (LG and Kenmore refrigerators)  (Read 257 times)

Offline RyanAZ

• VIP Member

Have you guys had any experience with the new LG Compressor TCA38091801?  Are they curing the chronic failures of the fridges?  or is it a temporary repair to a permanent problem?  I have a Kenmore 795.74022 (2017 model) with the typical linear compressor failure.  I am currently evaluating my repair options.  Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: LG linear compressor failures (LG and Kenmore refrigerators)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
From what I have read the new compressors are working better but might be too soon yet to tell since the older compressors would last 3 yrs or so before failing.
LG extended the warranty period for parts and labor on compressors but since you are asking about a Kenmore/LG not sure about the warranty situation since it is not handled by LG you have to deal with Sears.
The board must be updated if you do the new compressor and there has been a firmware update for the jig so you have to make sure you have the newest version.
I heard you can download and update the jig with the newer firmware.
Older LG mainboards from 2013-2014 might not update with the jig and you have to call LG or order a new mainboard if it wont update.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
Nobody knows, because the new compressors haven't been out long enough to fail.

Offline 6010fd12

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
I just made a thread about this. I'll update this post when a mod approves it. Essentially I bought an LG fridge from someone that had LG replace the compressor 2-3 times and the last time (being the new compressor model) only lasted overnight. LG gave up and just gave the owner half of the refund and voided the unit. I can hear the compressor working and the condenser fan is on but when I touch the high side it does not get warm or hot. I'm not sure what's wrong. If anyone thinks they know, please let me know.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:15:36 PM »
> someone that had LG replace the compressor 2-3 times

Whoever worked on it did a bad job.

The compressors aren't great, but there's no way a properly done repair should fail 3 times in a short period of time. It almost certainly has a leak/restriction/contamination/software or board update that isn't being handled properly.

>  I can hear the compressor working and the condenser fan is on but when I touch the high side it does not get warm or hot.

That's probably some sort of sealed system problem, but not necessarily the compressor.

If this is your refrigerator and you can get a good sealed system repair from a competent technician that does a lot of LGs, and you can get it done for free under warranty, I'd go for it. If it's going to cost you money, I'd replace it with something different.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:16:56 PM by tcarmen »

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 04:31:23 AM »
I just made a thread about this. I'll update this post when a mod approves it. Essentially I bought an LG fridge from someone that had LG replace the compressor 2-3 times and the last time (being the new compressor model) only lasted overnight. LG gave up and just gave the owner half of the refund and voided the unit. I can hear the compressor working and the condenser fan is on but when I touch the high side it does not get warm or hot. I'm not sure what's wrong. If anyone thinks they know, please let me know.

You cannot get help from LG on that unit anymore if it was voided in their system by the serial number.
If you know how to do sealed system work you can try to cut the filter drier out and cut discharge tube from compressor and blow nitrogen through condenser see if it comes out by inlet to filter drier. I saw a post by a tech showing photos of complete blockage in the filter drier that was a solid tan gunk and it was even backed up inside the tubing coming from the yoder loop. You can bypass the yoder loop and replace condenser if it has signs of blockage but it might have passed debris into the 3 way valve and then into the capillary tubes (if it is a dual evaporator unit). If compressor overheated many times the oil gets gummed up and clogs the system. Or if it had a low side leak moisture is drawn into the system which causes POE oil to turn into acids and solid salt compounds that travel around the system clogging everything up.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
I've been an appliance technician for 41 years and I don't recall ever seeing so many bad compressors (big box store dehumidifiers excluded) as LG refrigerators have.  Two weeks ago, the we scrapped out 8 LG refrigerators, all with bad compressors and not one of them was 4 years old.  One month ago we had a customer who spent several days endlessly calling LG again and again and LG finally agreed to replaced their compressor on their 2 year old refrig. 

This past October I was doing a washer repair and the customer mentioned that their very young LG refrigerator was going to have the compressor replaced in warranty but that the service appointment was nearly one month out.  They inquired if my shop could do the repair faster.  I knew we could do it in just a few days but fibbed (because it was an LG) and said no, we're backlogged also.  In March, just before the COVID-19 quarantine began, I was back at the same customer's house to repair their drawer microwave oven.  They told me their LG refrig just went out again and wondered if the warranty serviceman had done a bad job.  I looked over the paperwork and discovered that I knew the tech (and he's excellent) who replaced the compressor.  So through no fault of their own, the warranty service company got a bad yelp review from that customer.  Sure am glad I fibbed and didn't do the job or that would've been me.

I don't know if new replacement LG compressors are any better but currently we suggest when refrig shopping, pick anything but LG.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:27:47 PM »
Iíve put in around 50+ now since they debuted. Havenít been back yet but also hasnít been 4 years yet like dash said lol. You just have to make sure you have the info replacing. You need the flash jig and also the compatibility list. Just about all fridges will except the 801ís except the oem comps that are in the 300ís. Those have to have the OG comps. Just had a 795 with the 300 comp. and those are rare though only second Iíve seen out of 100ís but Iíd still check.
🌲PNW Chris🌲