Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung electric dryer model DV361EWB5WR/A3  (Read 180 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Samsung electric dryer model DV361EWB5WR/A3
« on: May 13, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »

I was just given this model Samsung dryer needing repair. It would turn the drum properly but develop no heat. In dismantling it I found as I expected a broken wire in the heating coil. These coils are very expensive if obtained from a servicing dealer. Marcone gave me a price of $150.28 for the coil only and $157.86 for the complete assembly of enclosure plus t-stat. It appears that they are available on E bay as new for a lot less money. Does anyone have a feel for the quality of these parts  as compared to the OEM item ? This dryer is in excellent condition and I will repair it probably using the lower cost parts  but am asking techs what there opinion is of these E bay new parts ?

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Samsung electric dryer model DV361EWB5WR/A3
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »
I've used after market elements with good luck. As long as it's the same wattage shouldn't be an issue. Just remember not to handle with bare hands. kanthal wire doesn't like skin oils. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:57:59 PM by Pnwdad1981 »
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
Thanks for the input on the e bay parts

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
Of note when this unit was dismantled the heating coil was not working  in that there was a wire coil that was broken. In examaning this breakage it was noted that the metal support plate was cracked in several places from the edge of a porcelain insulator opening in ward. The material thickness is pretty thin for this support plate. I have also seen it on other brand electric dryers such as Maytag and Whirlpool. I doubt that the thickness of this material  has much or  anything  to do with the heating coil  failure as the coil of wire ultimately fatigues from heating and cooling over many cycles of on and off. If anyone has other opinions on this secondary failure it would be interesting to see them.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
Use Supco heating element DE0019A.  It's inexpensive and just as good as the Samsung OEM element.