Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG French Door Refrigerator, ice sheets in freezer drawer  (Read 141 times)

Offline Jillians

• VIP Member
LG French Door Refrigerator, ice sheets in freezer drawer
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »

I'm guessing this is the usual LG freezer drawer issue. Water collecting and freezing in the bottom due to a clogged drain tube in the back.

I was able to remove a small plug of debris, but I think I either have a clog higher up or I need to defrost it longer to let the tube thaw.

How long should it take for the freezer cabinet to fully defrost? How would I access the tube higher up?

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: LG French Door Refrigerator, ice sheets in freezer drawer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
You have to remove the evaporators cover to access the drain. We use hand held steam cleaners for defrosting as you can damage the liner and melt it with hair dryers or heat guns. A full defrost will take 2-3 days doors wide open so a bunch of towels and cups of hot water without a steamer will work. Just take your time as the drain trough is iced up and might be iced to the cover which you don't want to break. Also unplug the fridge and only plug it in when your all done as when you unplug the temp sensor you'll error out and some won't work until you unplug the fridge to reset anyways.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Jillians

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:42:29 PM »
So we're basically talking warm compresses to the back of the freezer cabinet? Should I keep going until I get liquid draining from the tube in the back?

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
Absolutely! The drains incased in insulation. Meaning it would be like a bag of ice in a cooler, it’ll stay frozen. And if you don’t have free flowing water it’ll just freeze over again with the first defrost cycle.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:04:11 PM by Pnwdad1981 »
🌲PNW Chris🌲