Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Freezer quit freezing!  (Read 101 times)

Offline relli1130

• VIP Member
Freezer quit freezing!
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »

Hello everyone!

My 2nd hand Kenmore 106.8275580 upright frostless freezer quit freezing on me.  Nearly lost all of my beef, venison and chicken.  I'd buy a new freezer, but there are none for sale currently due to COVID. 

Anyway, here is what I know:
The fan inside the unit is working.  The coils (on the back of the unit) are free of dust/dirt.  The compressor runs extremely hot to the touch, and constantly runs now that the unit is not cooling.  I've unplugged the freezer for now. 

What research I've done so far suggest I should replace either the capacitor or the defrost timer (or both).  Combined I can get these parts for under $50.00.

I paid $75 for the freezer.  It worked fine before this.  Except when the compressor used to kick on, it rattled loudly momentarily, and this was ANNOYING!!!!

My questions are:  are these two items the likely cause of the problem?  Anything else I should consider replacing?  Maybe I'm better off just waiting and buying a new unit in 2-3 months when they become available again.

Thanks in Advance
Jeff

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Freezer quit freezing!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:50:17 PM »
Those parts your stating to replace are parts if the compressor wasnít running at all as a possible fix. Compressor is running hot cause itís doing just that, running nonstop. Itís unlikely your compressor is bad but more likely you have a sealed system issue. Either a restriction somewhere or you have a leak. If your freezer has the black foam on the heat exchanger (big tubing with a small tube brazed to it) thatís where the leak is probable as the condensation inside the foam corroded the tube now all the refrigerant is gone. Unless your a repair tech with the know how and all the equipment your gonna spend upwards to 500-700ish ball park. If itís a restricted system maybe less. But you might as well unplug it before your computer burns out or catches your floor on fire.
🌲PNW Chris🌲