Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool WGD8500DC3 cycle control flashing  (Read 160 times)

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
Whirlpool WGD8500DC3 cycle control flashing
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »

A friend dropped me this Cabrio gas dryer off to check out. Original complaint was: dead. A previous tech threw parts at it and condemned it under warranty. Owner has since negotiated with Whirlpool and replaced it. He liked the Cabrio better than what he has now and wants to see if it can be revived.

The unit has a tech sheet in it, but I can't find the service manual online. The UI was unresponsive, so I popped off the console. It looks like previous tech swapped out the ACU for a number that won't look up.  The ACU in the unit is W11400350. With the UI disconnected, the ACU LED has a slow, steady heartbeat, flashing constantly. Once the UI data connector is attached, the UI does some random flashing of lights, short beeping, then the led on the ACU changes to rapid flashes with pauses in between.

Initial voltage testing with the UI disconnected shows line voltage ok, 12vdc ok, and 12vdc on the UI data connector. The tech sheet says it should be 5vdc.

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool WGD8500DC3 cycle control flashing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »
Main things I'm looking for are:

What does the new ACU fit into?
Any insight into the ACU flashing led codes?

I'm pretty sure a new UI and ACU will fix the unit, but owner probably won't want to buy them both.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Whirlpool WGD8500DC3 cycle control flashing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:50:10 PM »
Main things I'm looking for are:

What does the new ACU fit into?
Any insight into the ACU flashing led codes?

I'm pretty sure a new UI and ACU will fix the unit, but owner probably won't want to buy them both.

I second that. I bet wrong revisions between the UI and ACU.
🌲PNW Chris🌲