Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Sam Sung fridge RF221nctasr/aa01  (Read 173 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Sam Sung fridge RF221nctasr/aa01
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:26:04 AM »

My customer has this fridge, the fresh food section works satisfactorily, but the freezer parts not freezing unless he force it to fast cold by pressing the freezer temp control button for 3 seconds every day. The forced cold function only works for 24 hours every time. Should I replace the control board for him? I think the Sam Sung man may see this case often, and knows exactly what to do to fix it.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: Sam Sung fridge RF221nctasr/aa01
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:34:58 PM »
Looking at the schematics this looks like an in series duel evap. If memory serves me I think the fresh food is fed first. If the cap is in that one and the freezer evap has two suction lines then itís definitely an in series and those are known for evap leaks. Iíd check for frost patterns cause if heís hitting turbo cool it just runs longer thus getting some kind of action below. Verify itís in series dual evap. Check frost pattern in freezer and fridge, if any itíll probably melt away in 15 minutes in the freezer. Tap low side, pump in 2oz. Wait 20 minutes to see if any improvement as those in series duels take awhile to reach the second one. Then proceed with normal sealed diagnostics procedures.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Sam Sung fridge RF221nctasr/aa01
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
Thank you pnwdad for your suggestion about putting 2 Oz of refrigerant in to check the frost pattern. I have not been to that house yet.Finding out whether the two sections are in series or parallel would be big help. In many late models, there is a 3 way valve (diverter) to control where the refrigerant goes, the fridge or freezer.This system makes it difficult to find out why the fridge section is not cold because of malfunctioning diverter or control problem.I will have to go there with more detailed info to tackle this task.