Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: A likely dumb question about replacing Whirlpool fridge door switch  (Read 111 times)

Offline Ed_de_whirlpool

• VIP Member

I have an old Whirlpool fridge a 1993 model called ET20LKXAN00 which Whirlpool's customer service portal doesn't even remember!  which has a malfunctioning door light switch (part WP2149705). I got a replacement but I can't remove the assembly that covers the switch. It's probably easy but I removed the three screws I could see on the bottom, yanked it back and forth, up and down, and got nowhere! I would very much appreciate any knowledge or ideas on the matter.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Hello Ed, from my memory, you would use a thin putty knife, start from the non hinge end, pry up the cover that has printing "Refrigerator", "Freezer" on it. Once you pried up one end, you can pull the whole cover out. Under the cover you will see more screws. I hope this helps you out. Good luck!