Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Would you recommend the trade?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Blank

• VIP Member
Would you recommend the trade?
« on: March 27, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »

I'm thinking about getting into the appliance repair trade. Would you all recommend it? What is your overall outlook on the business?

A little about me, I have 20+ years in electro-mechanical maintenance, repair, and overhaul; everything from aircraft to industrial maintenance. I'm mainly looking at self employment.  :thanks: 

Offline Blank

• VIP Member
Re: Would you recommend the trade?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:49:39 AM »
I guess there are no appliance repair professionals on this forum. Thanks for your help!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
I would tell people to get into the HVAC business.

Offline Blank

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
I would tell people to get into the HVAC business.
Thanks. I've seen companies that service both appliances and hvac, so maybe that's an idea. I know the hvac guys are pretty secretive.... I got my EPA type 2 while in the military.

Offline rbmappltech

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 06:40:49 AM »
That is sort of a tough question. What area do you live in, what is your competition
? Also what is the average income in your area, population density of your service area. If you live in a rural area, you might have allot windshield time vs a suburban/city area. Starting out is always a little rough, you need to build up a repetition and establish a good name for yourself. Internet advertising is the best way to go, google and facebook work okay for me. I would stay away from Home advisers, and places like yelp. There are home warranty companies that offer extended warranties, you will have to do your research on them. Some are slow payers and don't pay well. Warranty work is okay, it does not pay well. However you do  get  access to information and training that might otherwise not be available to you. I would join a couple of trade groups, like MSA World, USA (united servicers association) and also Appliantology.org. Those are good trade groups to join. I would only recommend this trade, if you have good people skills. You have a good electronics back ground and are willing to keep up on training, and keeping your skillset updated. It's not a bad way to make a living overall.

Offline Blank

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:28 PM »
rbmappltech, thanks for the reply.
I live in the midwest, population of the MSA is 2 million.  Median household income is around 60k/year. There are a lot of smaller appliance repair companies in the area and a few operations with 10+ trucks. I'll check out the trade groups and I appreciate the other insights.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:43 AM »
If you got a good electrical & mechanical aptitude I would suggest getting into the maintenance field. Like in a food plant, college or hospital. A health care facility wouldn’t be my first choice right now but overall the maintenance field is pretty good pay and benefits without the need for a formal education. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
My WeBull Invite Code (get two free stocks): https://act.webull.com/e/q38D7ONKDaCF/euy/

My Robinhood Invite Code (grab a free stock): http://join.robinhood.com/johnp165

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
If you got a good electrical & mechanical aptitude I would suggest getting into the maintenance field. Like in a food plant, college or hospital. A health care facility wouldn’t be my first choice right now but overall the maintenance field is pretty good pay and benefits without the need for a formal education. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
AJ is right. When I first stated in this years ago you could work for GE, Whirlpool or even Sears and learn on they're  time.Now the only Big Company left is GE that does factory service in certain areas.Now your left with small companies that are a mom and pop company that are going to hire the most experience tech out there.And some of these appliance are just throwaways.Parts are sky high for a lot of repairs. This was a good business in my time, but would double think it now.My opinion.

Offline jimd2

• Technician
  • Wish the New stuff was like it was in the 80's
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »
You guys are right on I worked for sears for 15 years in the 80's and 90's
best training anywhere and great pay
Now I take HVAC Gas and if you can get training Oil
I was Sears trained on Gas, Oil, Heat Pump Etc
If only they still sold the Direct Drive
Couplers were a gift from Whirlpool to Service Techs

Offline Blank