Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool dryer model WED4800XQ0 with s/n 10515127  (Read 214 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Whirlpool dryer model WED4800XQ0 with s/n 10515127
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

I have the above model electric dryer that will not operate.  The previpus owner said sometimes it would work and sometimes not. When I first got it I tried it and it would run the drum but no heat. In doing some testing I accidentally shorted a blue wire from the thermal fuse  on the blower housing and now it will not start at all. The schematic shows a thermal fuse from the push to stsrt relay/switch plus  a thermal cutoff both of which are not resettable. I have tested both of these and  and they are showing continuity. Is it possible I damaged another item when I accidentally shorted the wire. The heating coil shows continuity and I even took it off the unit and found no problem with it. I am not sure which direction to go on this unit to repair it. Can anyone offer some suggestions. ? Is there a fuse in the motor I am missing  ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool dryer model WED4800XQ0 with s/n 10515127
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »
The timers in these machines are not very good. I found continuity many times on timer contacts and opened the timer to see it fried. Remember a meter runs 9 volts across a circuit and it will give a false reading. When power is applied it can't cross the contacts.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
I dismantled the timer and did indeed find several of the contacts burnt . I am going to attempt to file these off to provide better continuity.  Is it possible to remove these spring type lever /contacts from the plastic housing .? It would be much better to be able to clean them up . I have done this on other timers in years past but this one is almost impossible to get the terminal/lever/contact out of the plastic case. Any suggestions ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
Change the timer, they are $70.00 on Amazon. Filing will never last, I did file contacts but only to last long enough to change the timer. They aren't made like the old timers, quality isn't as good . That's why the failures are so common. If you file it and it last a month, the customer is no going to be very happy with you.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the advise . The unit now works  OK on auto dry but not on timed dry. I will consider replacing it  with a new one.