Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag LDE409 dryer  (Read 254 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Maytag LDE409 dryer
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

This old Maytag electric dryer finally spit its belt all over the bottom of the dryer. Removed it in pieces with little rubber left...mostly reinforcing wires.

This dryer's cabinet is somewhat difficult to disassemble in order to get the drum out. A thorough cleaning with the shop vac was in order...lint everywhere (This old dryer is relegated to a spot in the rear of my large garage and is not vented to the outside). It dries laundry from my MAH3000 Maytag Neptune which I find is the best front loader residential washer there is (I got mine free). It has had bearings and seal replaced and does my work clothes and other non household washing (greasy shop rags, work gloves and ...you get the idea).

Once apart, the dryer is in good shape inside. The outside cabinet looks like new so it was well worth the effort to get it breathing again.

It takes a 95 inch 3 rib belt which I had wisely ordered a couple years ago understanding the OE belt was going to fail.

The rollers, felts and other mechanicals are all fine. A new lamp was installed and I now have the Maytag breathing like new again.

Disassembly and reassembly are intuitive.

For the homeowner who wants to save on repair bills, this site is very helpful.

Stay safe out there and wash you hands often.
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag LDE409 dryer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 02:15:21 AM »
The belt for this dryer is supposedly a 5 rib X 3/8" wide X100" long . If you used a 95 "  size it may not last as long as the one specified.. Also with that much difference in length it  must have been very difficult to install over the idler and motor shaft ?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »
Y312959 belt?

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:56 PM »
The 95 inch belt fits normally with the idler pulley in what seems to be the normal position. The spring is under tension about 1/2 its length. I would deem that normal.

As for the belt p/n, I have already discarded the packing so the part details are lost. I ordered it off this site a couple years ago and it fit correctly.

I'm going to call it good likely for the remainder of my life (I'm 81 and use the dryer on the low heat setting). The next owner may want to replace the idler pulley and maybe the rollers and slip strips (upon inspection, they are fine with little wear). The electric stove heats properly and none of the lockouts tripped when the OE belt broke a few weeks ago.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »
Y312959 belt?

I found the packaging...yes, the Y312959 is the belt I installed. It was shipped to me March of 2016. "Plan ahead" I say. "Be prepared" like the Boy Scouts...Uh-oh, the Boy Scouts are no more....went bankrupt... too bad.