Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG moisture sensor not working  (Read 381 times)

Offline markgwebb

• VIP Member
LG moisture sensor not working
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »

I have an LG dryer model DLEX5680W, serial #404KWFN98523.  I think the moisture sensor is not working properly.  When I dry clothes on the automatic cycle, sometimes it completes in less than 5 minutes (and obviously the clothes are still wet).  Sometimes it dries most of the way but still leaves the clothes too wet, even with extra dry set.

I enabled test mode by pressing more time and less time and pressing the power button.  Then I pressed the play button to activate the moisture sensor test.  It read 41.  I put a wet washcloth across the moisture sensor and it still read 41.

Should I replace the moisture sensor?  Where can I find instructions on how to do that?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Dbrock

• VIP Member
Re: LG moisture sensor not working
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
It depends on the model but that seems to be a really low value. not to mention the fact that the value should vary when you run a wet wash cloth over it. But again as I said that value seems extremely low. I would say yes replace it.

Offline brain_dead

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
I have never replaced a moisture sensor, ever. It is literally two pieces of metal. The way the dryer determines moisture level is by reading voltage drop based on resistance provided by the damp clothes brushing against the moisture sensors. I would check the wiring harness first, then look at replacing the control board.

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »
Have you cleaned them and the space between them?

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:53 PM »
Considering they are just metal strips replacing wonít solve your issue. 80 grit sand paper to buff them might help if they have a build up from softener or dryer sheets. They might have became unplugged. I donít believe these have a MOV harness so if they get sanded, their plugged in and you ohm the harness from component to pcb connector(unplugged from pcb) and if they donít ohm open and the latter didnít work you have a bad pcb. Easy solution, just use time dry.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Dbrock

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
yes essentially dirty, disconnected, or damaged wires. Not very common for moisture sensors to go bad. i've only ever replaced 2 that they were actually faulty. there should be a test mode for the moisture sensor that you can run to check them. I wouldn't jump straight to the board. however if the wires aren't damaged, you clean them and test the sensors with no luck then go to the board definitely.

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
On automatic cycles, the main thing that will make the dryer finish too early is usually a temperature sensor, not the moisture bars. The moisture bars extend the cycle, but don't shorten it. If you have a thermistor or thermostat go wonky, the dryer will act like it's empty and end auto cycles fast. Like others already said, check connections and wires! LG puts the same connectors in everything electronic. Doesn't matter whether it's an $8 Bluetooth speaker or  a $1500 washer, they use the same $.0003 parts. Beware of loose and corroded connectors!