Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Quiet Partner IV hangs at 97 or 44 min, not enough water it seems.  (Read 370 times)

Offline CasaCasa

• VIP Member

Model:  GU2700XTSB1
Running a Normal/Heated Dry Cycle, the machine pauses at 97 minutes and will not move forward.  I open the door to see what's going on.  The dispenser has dropped the soap packet and it is lying unopened on the dryish floor of the washer.  There is water in the filter area, but it is only up to the rim of that area and does not cover the floor.  It is not anywhere near the level of the float.  There is some bubbly residue on the lower washer arm so there doesn't seem to be water going through the arm.  Also, I'm not convinced that it has been spinning. 

I've run the diagnostic cycle and on Step 9 I get the Clean light, but not the Sanitized light, so it doesn't seem that the water is heating properly.  But I'm thinking that's because there is not enough water to get over or near the element to get it heated up.  The element seems to be working.

(Side note:  Since I've been having problems, I did get it to run through and wash the dishes decently on a Light/Heated Dry Cycle.)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dbrock

• VIP Member
well first of all your right about it not getting enough water. the correct fill level should be to the base of the heating calrod.
As far as the spray arms, if there is not enough water there is no pressure or water to spin them. Have you checked to see if you
have a clogged water inlet screen? Another possibility is that the water inlet valve itself "the Coil" is failing. That would be where I would start.

Offline CasaCasa

• VIP Member
Thanks for the reply, Dbrock.  I appreciate it.  The water inlet valve and screen is my next focus.  See below for what else I have been trying today. 

Update:

I found that the chopper blade was damaged, so I replaced it. This has not solved the base problem.

When the Normal cycle (with pre-running the tap water to get it hot) hangs at 97 minutes, after letting it run for several minutes, I open the door to check things out.

The water is not high enough to cover the floor of the dishwasher. I added several quarts of hot water from the tap to fill up onto the floor level. Closed the door and hit start. Still sticks at 97 minutes. Several observations after opening the door to check several times:

- the washing cycle seems to run: soap packet dissolves and upper and lower arms distribute the water throughout the dishwasher
- the bottom arm is not always turning well
- I checked the temp of the water and it is 130 degrees (Normal cycle), so it seems that the heating element is working?
- Cancel/Drain works fine

Is there a way to manually advance the dishwasher to the next phase of the cycle? If I let it wash for an adequate amount of time to wash the dishes while stuck at 97 minutes, I'd like to be able to advance it to drain and then rinse to at least be able to get the dishes washed while I'm figuring this out.

Offline Dbrock

• VIP Member
ok so exactly how long does the dishwasher run for minute wise before it hangs up? the reason I ask is because if it runs for a few minutes and hangs up then I would say perhaps something with the door switch. Is the dishwasher centered properly and not hitting on any cabinets? a common issue for it to run for a few minutes and stop is the door switch. It will make and then run for a few minutes and break contact possibly due to vibration or just a bad door switch. as far as advancing the cycle while it's running you can't really do that on the pcb newer models. you can put it in test mode but you can't advance to a specific step during normal run without interrupting the cycle. As far as the Impeller blade or the "chopper Blade" that may have been something that got caught it the drain pump and damaged the impeller.

Offline CasaCasa

• VIP Member
Thanks again, Dbrock.

Thanks for the answer on not being able to advance the cycle in non-diagnostic mode. 

I should have been more clear.  The dishwasher does not stop operation at 97 and 44, it runs and runs and runs at that time and does not advance to 96 or 43 and on down. 

Here are a couple more things I have tried or gleaned since my last post:
   - During a Normal/Heated Dry cycle when it hangs at 97 minutes, I am able to open the door and add hot water (180+ degrees) heated on the stove and the cycle is able to continue its countdown.  (I think I have deduced that on the Normal/Heated Dry cycle, the dishwasher stays at 97 (wash) and 44 (rinse) until the water is heated to a target temperature).  I am able to manually help it through an entire wash cycle (that cleans as normal) in this manner. 
   - I went back and tried the same process at Step 9 in the diagnostic cycle.  Adding the hot water gets the Sanitized light to come on, which I believe indicates the thermister is operating correctly.  This makes sense of why I can add heated water at 97 and 44 and get the cycle to continue. 

To me, this isolates two problems still:
1) There is not enough water in the tub during the 97 and 44 minute heating periods. 
2) If there is enough water in the tub (if I add it) there may also be a problem with the dishwasher heating the water to the target temperature.

Hopefully if I accomplish the first, the machine can do its job and accomplish the second. 

- I removed the inlet valve and did the best I could to clean the filter screen (thimble shaped that I did not remove completely).  That did not improve things.
   - I think the heating element is working because it is definitely hot when I am adding extra water.  From what I have read, it seems like the heating element is either working or not working.  Is this true, or as the element starts to go bad, does it not heat up as much as it is supposed to?

My current guess is that the water inlet valve is bad and I have a replacement part on the way.  If I can get the washer to have the appropriate amount of water during the heating period at 97, maybe the heating element can do its job to reach the target temp and advance.  Side question, how does the washer know how much water to add to the tub?  Does it fill until the float valve stops it?  Does it fill for a preset time regardless of the flow rate?  If this is the case, could low house water pressure result in not getting enough water to the tub?

Otherwise, if the water inlet valve is not the issue, maybe I have a siphoning issue and even though the machine tries to fill adequately at the beginning of the wash cycle, it does not stay in there.   I have tried to adjust the drain hose as much as I can to address potential siphoning  issues, so if it is that, I don't know what else I can do.

I'm still not sure why the lower washer arm does not spin freely all the time.  It seems to get stuck in a certain position.  Is there a way to lubricate something so that it spins more freely?  Is the rotational velocity of the arm based on the water pressure that the pump provides?  Could this be a factor of needing more water in the tub during washing? 

Thanks!

Offline CasaCasa

• VIP Member
Just wanted to write back and close the loop on this.  The good news is that the dishwasher is repaired.
I installed a new Fill Valve Assembly and that seemed to do the trick in getting the proper amount of water into the tub.  This allowed the machine to cycle the water through the arms and reach the proper temperature and advance and continue the cycle. 

I also went back and reinstalled the new Chopper Assembly that had been making a lot of noise.  It is working much more quietly now. 

The lower wash arm still does not rotate well.  Some more detailed inspection indicates that at one point in its rotation it is rubbing slightly against the internal rear feed, plastic on plastic.  I was able to back (loosen) the hub screw slightly to give it just a little more height and clearance, so hopefully that helps this machine clean for a few more years.

Thanks again Dbrock for checking in.   

Offline Dbrock

• VIP Member
your welcome good to hear it got fixed