Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG DLE2301W very loud squealing then quiet after manually turning drum  (Read 227 times)

Offline Peretz

• VIP Member

It's been one of those nights.

Our LG DLE2301W dryer has been a little more noisy than usual, sporadically making squealing sounds then returning to normal, quiet operations after less than a minute.

Tonight, the dryer started making the sound again, but didn't quiet down this time. I unplugged the unit, removed the top panel, and turned the drum by hand. The drum still made the squeaking noise even when being manually turned.

Since then, the dryer has alternated between making the same sound, making hardly any sounds (other than running a little louder, perhaps), and making much louder squealing sounds while rattling. At one point, I thought I might have solved the issue merely by moving the dryer along (yes, it was wishful thinking, but I was feeling desperate), but the dryer was louder than ever when I started it the next time.

Based on what I've been reading, I believe the belt or one of the rollers is the root cause.

It's hard to think of a worse time for a dryer to fail during a global pandemic and county-wide Stay At Home order in effect, but I'm doing my best to stay positive.

If any of the appliance experts out there care to chime in with their expert opinions or make suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I work as an IT field tech for a living, so I'm comfortable disassembling and reassembling machines, but I admit I'm nervous working on my dryer. We have a family of four that depends on it, so I'll be returning to troubleshooting tomorrow (which, technically, at this point is later today).

Offline manden

• Technician
Yes odds are that it is one of the support rollers or the belt tensioner wheel.
A drop of oil on their shaft should fix this.

Could also be something between the drum and the end seals.
Run your fingers around to see if you can feel something.
Be careful as it may be sharp.
Bra wires are infamous for this.

Below is a link to a site with a lot of service manuals.
It does not have your manual but others may help you see how the unit is put together.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzIiBNwRIV4NejF3MTA4T0lxb28

Also the Sears parts site has a parts breakdown for this unit.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Here this may help.

Offline Peretz

• VIP Member
Thank you all for the replies! After disassembling the unit, I discovered that the rollers were indeed the culprit. I ordered 2 replacement rear rollers which should arrive on Thursday.

Here this may help.
The guide you posted was very helpful when I was trying to remember which screw went to which part (though I admit I should have been marking screws all along and not just after I made it as far as the duct housing).

Offline Thorning

• Technician
If you are installing new rollers be careful about using any oil on the shafts . Usually the roller above the heating coil is the one that goes bad. The idler pulley is also likely to go  dry of any lube. I am not very familar with the design  of this unit but if you do use any lube on the rollers use a high temp type, not oil.