Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE tbf-18d not cooling anymore  (Read 521 times)

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
GE tbf-18d not cooling anymore
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:01:57 AM »

The fridge part used to work fine but the freezer has been weak for some time. Now their both not cooling right. I hear something running pretty loud but don't feel any breeze where there are vents. I made a video to show what I mean. Could someone tell me if they have an idea for the 1st place to check. If it's the fan I'd appreciate a hint as to how to get at it. Thanks

https://youtu.be/83yGfHkHqPk

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE tbf-18d not cooling anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:45:23 AM »
Remove the ice maker first.The bottom metal floor has to come up.Remove all the Philips screws you see on the floor and there maybe one on that tall plastic piece behind ice maker. After metal floor comes off there will be a piece of styrofoam that more than likely be frozen down.You may have to poor hot water on it or wait a couple days for the ice to melt. On these old ones the other larger styrofoam piece under the coils or evaporator maybe be saturated and this may not be a fixable. It is also possible that the glass heater could be broken by ice.It looks like the defrost water was not getting out of the freezer after the defrost and building up in the freezer. Good Luck.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »
Appreciate for your reply. I hadn't seen it before I just jumped in and tried to figure it out. Your description was right on. Much further along now. Got freezer panels off. The fans inside and by compressor are both spinning. The coils below the floor of the freezer were completely frozen. I've had a fan on them for 5 hours now and got about 2/3 of it off. After I took the cardboard cover off the compressor I noticed half of it's fan blades had strands of dust around them. Not very thick but there. One thing that seems to follow along the lines of your diagnosis is that the ice is melting around the floor but there's no water in the plastic tray at the bottom of the fridge. I'm going to make another video showing where its at now. Thanks!

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Here's the video of defrosting after getting into freezer area
https://youtu.be/-7NNPrBFuM0

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »
Remove the ice maker first.The bottom metal floor has to come up.Remove all the Philips screws you see on the floor and there maybe one on that tall plastic piece behind ice maker. After metal floor comes off there will be a piece of styrofoam that more than likely be frozen down.You may have to poor hot water on it or wait a couple days for the ice to melt. On these old ones the other larger styrofoam piece under the coils or evaporator maybe be saturated and this may not be a fixable. It is also possible that the glass heater could be broken by ice.It looks like the defrost water was not getting out of the freezer after the defrost and building up in the freezer. Good Luck.
Could you say where that glass heater might be? The waterfound it's way out but the plastic pan under the fridge remained dry. Thanks

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
Take a look at the following parts breakdown.
https://www.appliancepartspros.com/parts-for-ge-tbf18eab.html

Looks like it is under a metal cover between the two coils.

If no defrost water ended up in the tray, then where did it go?
If into the fresh food compartment then you also have a plugged drain tube.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
It just went on to the carport floor. Thanks for the link. I'll turn it on like it is and see if I can see whats happening with the coils exposed.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 05:39:07 PM »
That refrigerator has been sitting in the carport unplugged until now. Home Depot is bringing something out in a week and offers to take this away for $25. So I've got that time to give it one last shot. It's handy to have it when company comes. I plugged it in. At first the evaporator fan wasn't turning. I came back later and it was going. The coils had a light layer of frost on them. So now I wonder what it might be that made it completely freeze up and if it's something I made be able to order and put in without too much cost. Thanks