Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool ET21PKXGW01 Freezer temp fluctuate  (Read 111 times)

Offline dcmleung

• VIP Member
Whirlpool ET21PKXGW01 Freezer temp fluctuate
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »

I have this refridgerator in my garage in the Pacific Northwest. Temp is above freezing in insulated garage.

I realized the freezer wasn't holding temperature due to items thawing and refreezing, so I purchased a wireless thermometer (2 sensors, shows min and max) to monitor from inside my house. I noticed the fridge was holding temp around 38F, fluctuating only 1 degree or so. The freezer wasn't doing so well - it gets as low as 2F, but will often rise to as high as 25F, maybe sometime close to thawing temp. This swing can take place quickly (within an hour of reseting the min/max on thermometer). I've gotten a chance to clean out the dust covered coils under the unit but the issue persists.

I was drawing the conclusion that perhaps the freezer's gasket was bad, but fridge was ok. I tested with flashlight inside the fridge, and it turns out the opposite was true! The freezer's gasket was good, but fridge was letting light out with a noticeable gap.

Before shelling out >$100 for the gasket, does it make sense that the fridge gasket will resolve the freezer temp fluctuation issue?

Thanks.

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool ET21PKXGW01 Freezer temp fluctuate
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:37:12 AM »
Yes it could be the cause.
Especially as this is a freezer on top model so the warm air entering the fresh food section will rise and end up in the freezer.

Offline HerbG

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool ET21PKXGW01 Freezer temp fluctuate
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
The gasket will not improve the function of the freezer.  The refrigerator needs an ambient temperature above 55 degrees to operate properly.  Since the thermostat is located in the fresh food compartment, once it is satisfied, it will shut off the cooling system long before it can properly drop the temperature of the freezer.  Get a conventional chest freezer if you need anything other than bags of ice stored in your garage.