Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: whirlpool la8860w direct drive need help  (Read 211 times)

Offline jackiegeorge

• VIP Member
whirlpool la8860w direct drive need help
« on: March 05, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »

So i usually don't have to ask for help but please help on this washer.Problem it will agitate but when it gets to the drain and spin cycle it just hums and the motor gets hot enough that the thermal overload kicks out. Here is what i have replaced the pump the motor the motor capacitor the timer and the transmission. what do yall recommend i do next and this washer is 50 miles away at a friends house. thanks everyone. :-\

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: whirlpool la8860w direct drive need help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »
Take a good look at the motor wire harness connector. Look for burned terminals or wires that are broken inside of the insulation. In particular the bottom one in the connector. I think it's a red wire.

Offline jackiegeorge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
Will do going back tomorrow to try and get it going. thanks for the advise that makes sense.

Offline jackiegeorge

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »
well it is fixed he texted today and said that the timer fixed the no drain and no spin. But the washer would not complete a whole cycle would stop and you can smell the motor overheating. I took another motor and a new capacitor with me today and it is running great. He has used the washer once  this morning and this afternoon the motor was still very warm i guess the motor helped burn the contacts out on the old timer.