Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool refrigerator - water stops working after 24 hours.  (Read 218 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Whirlpool refrigerator - water stops working after 24 hours.
« on: March 02, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »

Hello everyone,  I am working on a Whirlpool French-door refrigerator Model No: WRF989SDAM03 that is 4 years old and the water dispenser & water to fill the icemaker will stop working after about 24 hours.  If I unplug the refrigerator for about 30 seconds and plug it back in (to reset the control board I think) it will work fine but only for about a day (24 hours).  I can only guess the main control board is bad (part no: WPW10589837) but at a retail price of $297.00 I thought I would post this and see what anyone else who might have run into this before thinks.  If you can help, please let me know.  Thank you very much! Tom

Online safebustr

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool refrigerator - water stops working after 24 hours.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 11:47:19 PM »
I know this sounds stupid but check the door switches, I chased my tail on one for several days and finally had to call for a more experienced tech.
The darned things seem to be making but the switch will cause the ice and water dispensing to fail. I couldn't tell if this was what might be happening from your description) A quick test is to place a piece of double sided (with only one sticky side exposed) foam tape on the door where the switch makes contact with the door, this will force the door switch to move a little further and test whether it is your problem. The factory fix was to replace the whole plastic inner shell of the door (left side on my unit). According to the expert this side is the most often to fail.
Good luck..

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:04 AM »
This model number on servicematters is showing this unit as possibly having a smart valve. It shows the smart valve  in the wiring diagram but not on the parts list. It also shows the smart valve in the service manual. This water inlet valve has a circuit board on it that has a 2 wire circuit coming from the main board off the P 4 connection. It also so shows this valve as having a constant line voltage and neutral. What I do in a situation like this is remove the static from my body and remove all connections on all electronic components involved and then reinstall. Also if unit is in a failed condition, test for proper voltage at test points. Let us know what you find.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
I ran this call last week Monday, March 2nd.  I ordered a new main control board.  I called the customer over the weekend to set up a return call for Monday, March 9th. and was told by the customer that everything has been working OK since I was out.  All I did was make sure all the wire connectors were plugged in tight on the control board.  My parts distributer is holding the control board for me but wants me to call him if it is not needed to replace it in stock.  As of today, he has not called back to say that it stopped working  again.  If he does, now I have a couple of things to check out before replacing the board.  Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how things work out if I go back out.