Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Older Amana electric dryer model LE1102L with s/n 9001014674  (Read 275 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Older Amana electric dryer model LE1102L with s/n 9001014674
« on: March 02, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »

I was just given the above model electric dryer which is an older AMANA unit. The motor is seized up  and a replacement is over $300  even on E Bay. Does anyone know if a cheaper replacement motor is available that would fit and work for this model dryer ? Also the wiring for the motor is not a single plug but rather a series of connectors such as a black, another black, A dbl white , a yellow, and a brownish red.. Any help especially on the wiring would be appreciated.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Older Amana electric dryer model LE1102L with s/n 9001014674
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »
In my efforts to salvage the above model dryer  I decided to use an older motor in good condition but the opposite rotation to the original Amana item. After lots of effort I was able to get the newer motor in position  and hooked up eletrically and it runs the motor and the heater works OK.  The drum will only turn with some help . The problem now is it needs a shorter belt due to a reconfiguration of the motor mount. The original is about 88.5" long and it would possibly work with an 85 " belt. Does any one have a dryer belt chart or know if a shorter one about 85 " long exists

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
So far I have been unable to find a shorter belt at least shorter than the 88.5 " part. As an alternative I installed pieces of magnetic /adhesive tape  in the path of the belt but in a cross direction to the path. I put about 12 strips of three thickness depth across  the drum which makes the belt think the drum is larger in diameter.  These were evenly spaced around the drum.. Also I added 2 more tension springs on the idler pulley arm to make the belt slightly tighter. These changes make it much better and it will start a small load of damp clothes. It will not start a load of heavy wet clothes however. I am still looking for a shorter belt  and if someone has info on one it would be appreciated .

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »
I have added another layer of the pads to increase the drum diameter  and it seems to increase the ability to start a load of heavy wet clothes. I am still looking for a shorter belt.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »
As a test Today I carefully put in some wet/damp clothes from a small load of clothes I just washed. This included a couple of towels , a couple of work shirts,  a pair of work pants and Some socks and underwear. When I activated the dryer with this load it would not turn the drum. I removed the large towel and work pants and tried it again and it turned the drum properly. It essentially will handle a light load but not a full load of heavy wet clothes with the present belt arrangement. FWIW the belt I used is a 1/4" wide X approx 88.5" long. The magnetic tape drum belt spacers  I used add about 0.5" to the drum diameter. Two extra springs were used for the belt tension. The vent pipe had to be rerouted to exit on the side due to the belt configuration. A heck of a lot of work and testing !I am still not happy with it but it does work for light loads.