Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool theater lighting side by side  (Read 207 times)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Whirlpool theater lighting side by side
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »

I'd like to know what other Appliance techs would think about this. Whirlpool refrigerator model number wrs322fdab03. This is the refrigerator that has the lights that sometimes strobes when it's faulty. Considering that this is an LED light that produces no heat I've pondered the idea of bypassing the light switch on the fresh food side permanently. How I come up with this idea was through a short-term experiment where I bypass the door switch. The interior lights were on 24/7 for a month with absolutely no problems. Once I re-established connection on door switch within 24 hours lights were malfunctioning again. The master light is part number wpw10515058. This unit also has two slave lights that works off of the master. Now I'm not in the habit of jury-rigging something but these lights are expensive and worthless. Just wondered what others might think of this.

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool theater lighting side by side
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
There is a tech on facebook who did extensive tests on these LED boards.
He explains the master board is the power supply and the LED chips are all in series.
So the total voltage is 36V DC in a series circuit to the other 2 boards.
Each board drops 12V across it and the LEDs on master board drop 12V. So the 3 sets of LEDs x 12V = 36V total.
If one LED chip fails the entire circuit fails and or strobes.
He tried to source new LED chips but they are a strange non-standard shape and also surface mounted.
He uses a hot air soldering gun to heat them off and has been using LED chips from scrap boards to replace failed chips.

Whirlpool must have gone out of their way to design this wacky series circuit and custom LED chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwboBle1R0

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Whirlpool theater lighting side by side
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »
There is a tech on facebook who did extensive tests on these LED boards.
He explains the master board is the power supply and the LED chips are all in series.
So the total voltage is 36V DC in a series circuit to the other 2 boards.
Each board drops 12V across it and the LEDs on master board drop 12V. So the 3 sets of LEDs x 12V = 36V total.
If one LED chip fails the entire circuit fails and or strobes.
He tried to source new LED chips but they are a strange non-standard shape and also surface mounted.
He uses a hot air soldering gun to heat them off and has been using LED chips from scrap boards to replace failed chips.

Whirlpool must have gone out of their way to design this wacky series circuit and custom LED chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwboBle1R0
Hey thank you. Some good information. Fortunate for me I never throw anything away. So I have some of these boards that I can work with
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:01:32 PM by haroldsappliance »