Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas or electric dryer typ LDE713 or LDG  (Read 290 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag gas or electric dryer typ LDE713 or LDG
« on: January 23, 2020, 05:28:29 AM »

The above model Maytag gas or electric dryers are an older type but very well designed and run  for a long time. The belt runs the smooth side facing the drum. I have noted on a few of these that the belt may slip some when attempting to start a load of heavy  damp clothes or towels. This has happened even with a fairly new belt. The drum is a very smooth surface where the belt rides. I considered shortening the idler pulley spring slightly to put increased tension on the belt but decided to try another idea. I bought a piece of adhesive traction material normally used on stair steps and have put 3 or more of  1" X 1" patches of this material  on the drum around the surface where the belt rides. They are equally spaced around the circumference.  Hopefully the heat from the drum will make the adhesive  stick even better than normal. Any opinions from you older repair guys on this idea ?

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas or electric dryer typ LDE713 or LDG
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:22:09 AM »
Just a couple thoughts.
1. the traction pads may cause vibration and/or thumping.
2. Any slippage when it starts up will wear down the back of the belt.
3. Depending on the glue used heat can soften the glue not harden it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:56:26 AM »
Thanks for the input. I did not notice any vibration or thumping. The adhesive may or may not do the job over a long period of time.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
Yesterday I applied the traction pads to another drum of an older Maytag dryer. For the info and use of other persons the material is for sale at Menards under the name SKID GUARD TREAD. It is sold in a 6" X 24"strip . I cut it in a 1" width and usually 1"length. If you do apply this material make sure you clean the drum surface well before applying. I usually install 5 of them equally spaced around the diameter in the path of the belt.