Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag MGDC300XW3 Noise When Rotating (Video with Sound Included)  (Read 396 times)

Offline dece870717

• VIP Member

Have had this dryer since about 2013-2014. Noise started maybe a couple weeks ago, sound is loudest from the lower left section of the dryer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qrf8RE13BuZ6CpXY9

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
Re: Maytag MGDC300XW3 Noise When Rotating (Video with Sound Included)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
Pop the top after taking the 2 screws out of the lint trap. Two plastic spring clips can be released with a putty knife, or I usually just pull forward on the top to release tension. One on each corner of the front. Prop the top open and run a cycle. Don't let it eat you.

My guesses would be: messed up front drum support nylon or felt, chewed up belt, loose baffle, or a bent drum. Could also be a drum roller but those are in the back of the drum.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »
Mention was made by another tech about a possible bent drum.  I have worked on many dryers over the last 6 years  and once in a while I find one that has a little eccentricity at the outer edge either front or rear  causing the drum to move up and down a little as it rotates. This usually does not cause a significant noise and my guess is that any noise will be a support roller. In regard to the drum being out of round does anyone have a spec on the amount of eccentricity allowed by the factory for the drum of a dryer ?

Offline dece870717

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 09:30:27 PM »
Mention was made by another tech about a possible bent drum.  I have worked on many dryers over the last 6 years  and once in a while I find one that has a little eccentricity at the outer edge either front or rear  causing the drum to move up and down a little as it rotates. This usually does not cause a significant noise and my guess is that any noise will be a support roller. In regard to the drum being out of round does anyone have a spec on the amount of eccentricity allowed by the factory for the drum of a dryer ?

Something was indeed bent, as I remodeled the laundry room and shifted the dryer all around the place, something seemed to have been bent into the right place, because it no longer makes the noise.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 06:09:49 AM »
A bent drum was not likely the cause but rather a bent support. I asked the folks at Speed Queen about the specs on a drum as regards being out of round. The person i talked to was not able to provide an exact number but suggested it should probably be no more than  0.030". My idea is that 0.060" is more realistic.