Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Refrigerator cabinet parts - are some generic?  (Read 125 times)

Offline LADave

• VIP Member
Refrigerator cabinet parts - are some generic?
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »

We have a 23 y.o. Amana side-by-side, model sx25sw p1190214ww.  We've neglected it and lost some a crisper/hydrator bin and associated shelf over the years, but I've just fixed some running issues that turned out to be nothing more than deteriorated connections in the evaporator compartment.  Finding all the other critical running mechanicals and electricals in amazingly good shape, I've gotten religion to take better care and restore missing parts.

So I've noticed that the refrigerator compartment is just over 18" wide.  Shelving is supported by tracks with about 17" spacing, center-to-center.  My question is whether these are standard dimensions, so that shelving and bins from other brands and models could be swapped in?  There are lots of side-by-sides of similar vintage being offered free on Craigslist.  What are the chances of these parts from a similar-sized GE, Whirlpool, etc. etc. fitting?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Refrigerator cabinet parts - are some generic?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »
For the same manufacturer, there are a **lot** of parts that can be swapped between machines, however there's no cross reference for it.

You would need to measure your space and mounting locations and go to an appliance store and see what looks like it would fit, then order the parts for the machine you looked at.