Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore VMW 110.20022013 Agitate/Spin Issues  (Read 327 times)

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Kenmore VMW 110.20022013 Agitate/Spin Issues
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »

I have two different issues with a Vertical Modular Washer (made by Whirlpool):
1) During Wash Cycle it will Spin and barely Agitate at same time.
2) During Spin Cycle the Tub will Jump up and down only when it has a load of laundry, doesn't do it when empty and the Suspension Rod's with Spring's were replaced.
The Calibrate Mode didn't resolve either issue.
The nut on the large Belt Pulley is tight and Belt is in good condition.
I'm thinking it's the Gearcase/Transmission causing both issues but it isn't leaking any oil.
 :popcorn:

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Kenmore VMW 110.20022013 Agitate/Spin Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:04 AM »
 A bad capacitor can cause the spin during agitation, the jumping up and down with new suspension rods I don't know.  Are they the correct ones for the model?  There are at least 4 or 5 different kits.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Kenmore VMW 110.20022013 Agitate/.Issues
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
The Suspension Rod's are the correct part for this Model but they are aftermarket and washer was working fine for about 10 loads then started jumping up and down.
I think Customer decided to replace the Washer due to 2 different issues but I needed the info. for reference.

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »
John Boy you said a bad capacitor can cause a VMW to spin and agitate at the same time can you explain in more detail I havent run across that yet .....thanks

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:46:44 AM »
This is what I figure is happening.  I found that the washer will agitate normally when a cycle is run with only water in the basket (no clothes), but when run with a load - in this case 2 or 3 twin sheets, the weak capacitor slows the start of the motor just enough that the first rotation of the agitator is fine, then as the motor changes rotation direction it tries to reverse, but before it can really get going the control has reversed again going in the original direction with even more force than the first time.  This keeps repeating as the control is continually changing direction, which gradually increases the spin basket speed until centrifugal force slings to water out of the top of the tub, hence the bad capacitor is causing a water leak!