Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Older topload timer switch will not advance  (Read 390 times)

Offline Mrpete

• VIP Member
Older topload timer switch will not advance
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »

Hi, I  have an older inglis topload washer. I  have replaced the timer switch AND the lid switch,  but still the machine  will not work.  It will perform  the necessary  functions if I force the disc underneath the timer knob through the various positions  on the  dial.
  I  would  very much appreciate help from someone who has  had experience with this issue.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Older topload timer switch will not advance
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »
Is the timer motor getting power?  Should be 120v when running.  A model number would help to get a look at the wiring diagram.

Offline Mrpete

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
Thanks  johnboy3, it would certainly  seem that the timer motor is NOT getting  power.  I  will shortly  share the model  number information......but if the timer motor is not getting  power ,what might cause that?

Offline Mrpete

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »
The model number is IJ41001

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
Is the knob locked correctly on the timer shaft?  When you pull it out does it click into the run position and freewheel on the shaft until you push it back in to stop the washer and engage so that you can change cycles or positions on the cycle?

Offline Mrpete

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
Yes, it does spin freely,  until I  push it in. Also, there is a quiet grinding sound...like a clock's  workings, I  suppose.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Was the timer replaced by a new timer?  It certainly sounds like you have a bad timer.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
I have on occasion had a similar problem with the older design timers. These use plastic gears inside that may strip  the teeth. If you are carefull you may be able to take the device apart and see if you have some stripped teeth. You cant buy separate pieces but at least you could define the problem. I have a lot of timers in my junk box and if you could send a photo or two I might be able to help you  with a repair part or a complete timer for the price of postage. My zip code is 61571 and the weight of a timer is less than 1 pound if you want to get one from me.  My email address is  jaybird@mtco.com

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
I just checked my junk box and I do not have a timer of the configuration you need. Sorry but I cannot supply one.