Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Gas versus electric dryer heating rating  (Read 268 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Gas versus electric dryer heating rating
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »

I work on all kinds of dryers both gas and electric and am asking serious repair people about how to compare the ratings of a gas unit versus an electric. many of the electrics I work on involve replacing the heating coil due to failed coil wires. Typically these are 5400 watt. What is a gas unit rated at that is comparable in size and performance to the elctric models ?

Offline jimd2

• Technician
  • Wish the New stuff was like it was in the 80's
Re: Gas versus electric dryer heating rating
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
In my area electric dryers cost $15 dollars more per month to run over natural gas
I like gas but I can see Benefits with electric as the gas dryer does not have a heat exchanger
and any crap in the gas supply will effect clothing
If only they still sold the Direct Drive
Couplers were a gift from Whirlpool to Service Techs

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:33:55 AM »
Thanks for your input but I am looking for a typical BTU rating of a gas versus electric dryer.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22:32 PM »
Each watt produces exactly 3.412 BTUs of heat.

It takes a 18425 BTU gas burner to equal a 5400 watt heater.

Most Whirlpool gas dryers are around 20,000 BTUs, however burning gas creates moisture, so if I had to guess, I'd say that gas and electric are about equal in dry time.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the input. That seems about right. I have an older Maytag  gas unit which the data plate says 22,000 BTU. A recent Amana electric unit I repaired shows 5400 watts on the heater coil mounting plate.