Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Thermal fuse reset  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Thermal fuse reset
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

In years past the thermal fuse used in dryer electrical circuits was a cylindrical metal item that was able to be reset electrically by a sharp rap on a hard surface.. It did work (sometimes). Many units now use a plastic encased thermal fuse. These are installed on the air handler tube on the back side of the drum. Some however still use the metal type usually installed on gas dryers . These usually are on the heat tube. Has anyone ever been to reset the metal tube type by submerging them in a deep freeze condition/solution ?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Thermal fuse reset
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »
I heard that it was possible but never got it to work.

Offline jimd2

• Technician
  • Wish the New stuff was like it was in the 80's
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
There so F*****G cheap Why would you screw with someones health and safety
If only they still sold the Direct Drive
Couplers were a gift from Whirlpool to Service Techs

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:12:27 PM »
The plastic covered thermal fuses and the metal tubular thermal fuses that have one wire coming out of each end contain a small blob of metal that melts at the temperature stamped on the fuse. These are not resettable no matter what you do, since the actual metal has melted, leaving a gap.

The high limit thermostats contain a bimetal disc. but I've never tried a reset because I'm not sure if it would trip correctly a second time and I don't want to test my liability insurance. 8-) It's not meant to be reset, so I don't.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:59:19 PM »
Just use a safety pin and clamp it around the spade connectors, wrap it with high temp foil tape and apply a jumper to L1 on the power block to reset it. Zip it up and make a sandwhich.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 12:11:20 PM »
I have never tried your method and think it is a little hazardous and I  replace the thermal fuse if it shows  an open circuit.